Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Advise on Writing and pen names please.......
    by treacy73 at 16:10 on 26 March 2007
    I need a little help here here please.

I love to write Romantic, Mystery and Kids fiction. Also Poetry and some non-fiction. However this is confusing when it comes to Publishing, because if i publish my name as a Child fiction write, I'm expected to write only child Fiction. And the same goes for any other fiction or non-fiction.

So what the best way to go about this? Some say it helps to have Pen names, a pen name for each writing and to inform Publisher about this.

What do you think? Any advise would be welcomed please.

<Added>

Sorry not sure if posted right place
  • Re: Advise on Writing and pen names please.......
    by EmmaD at 16:29 on 26 March 2007
    treacy73, as far as submitting to agents and publishers goes, you should operate under your own name. If they think it's a good idea (and, yes, if you're writing very different things, they might) then you would have one or more pseudonym to go on the book. But that's a much later stage. And there's always the option of using different versions of your actual name - initials, and so on.

And I think you're new around here? Welcome to WriteWords! If you need help, just yell. Dee and Nik are Site Hosts, and particularly good at helping you find your way around.

Emma

<Added>

then you would have one or more pseudonyms to go on the books in different genres.
    by Dee at 21:42 on 26 March 2007
    Treacy, welcome to WW.

I've just checked your profile but you don’t give any indication of what stage you're at with your writing. All I can say is, if you're a new writer don’t worry about that too much at this stage and concentrate on honing your skills. Otherwise, take advice from your agent or publisher if you have one or when you get one.

Dee

by treacy73 at 23:05 on 26 March 2007
    Thanks for the replies.

Sorry I forgot to write out a profile. Well I started out with poetry and had my first set published in few books along side other poets. Short stories came next and I do some screen writing.

I write various fiction to help me improve. Now I working on a novel, well two actually, one more a chick lit and the other a crime. People say it best write from what you know, this give me the idea for an Irish crime novel (after all I grew up in the Belfast troubles).

In short I'm still new to the Novel writing.