Login   Sign Up 

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • A newcomer introduction
    by Ann66 at 14:47 on 07 January 2010
    Hi everyone. Ive just joined on a trial membership basis to see what the site has to offer.

Im a 43 year old full time mum who has had a passion for writing since I can remember. My friends at school thought I was mad when I told them I was'nt coming out the play because I wanted to finish a story I was writing during the summer holidays!!

However, I've never actually done anything with my writing, but its always been there, in the background, waiting for the right time to take a front seat. Well, I've decided, a new year, a new start and its time to give my writing a serious go. I don't want to get to 80 (God willing!) and regret the fact that I never 'gave it a go'. Even if I fail miserably at least I'll know I gave it my best shot.

I've written numerous short stories over the years, aimed at the womens magazine market and attended a couple of creative writing courses but I know I have alot to learn and I'm hoping that this site and its members will help me, equally I hope I will have a little to give back in return!

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and I'm sure I'll be speaking to you all again soon.

Ann.x
  • Re: A newcomer introduction
    by NMott at 17:32 on 07 January 2010
    Hi, Ann, and welcome to WriteWords

It's never too late to start. As a trial member oyu can join one group and upload one piece of work, so if oyur interest is short stories and womans magazines, you might consider joining the Womans Fiction group or the Short Story group - you'll find keen and helpful writers on both.

You can find the 'groups' tab at the top of the page, or the list here:
    http://www.writewords.org.uk/groups/

If you need any help just give us a shout.

- NaomiM
    by Katie Mayes at 12:45 on 08 January 2010
    Hi Ann

I'm a newbie too. Just joined today and very excited!

Hope to see you lots around the forum.

Katie x
    by RT104 at 13:05 on 08 January 2010
    Hello, Ann - welcome!

Rosy
    by Ann66 at 21:12 on 08 January 2010
    Thanks for making me feel welcome! I think Im going to join the beginners group, but as Im not a full member yet and can only join a group for a week I have to time it just right . . . got a short story I wrote a couple of years ago and am going to take the plunge and let people read it . . . very nervous about this prospect!! Afraid Im not a confident writer, but I know I need to put my writing out there in order to learn and move forward.

<Added>

Ann.x
    by EmmaD at 22:40 on 08 January 2010
    Hi Ann, and welcome to WW.

Emma
    by jim60 at 02:08 on 13 January 2010
    Hi Ann, I see you've now joined us in Beginners, so a big welcome to the group.
    I've started a 'New Members' thread, so if you'd like to pop in there and say something about yourself and don't be shy or scared about anything, we are a very good crew and will do our best to look after you.
    Jim.
    by Account Closed at 14:51 on 13 January 2010
    Welcome, Ann! I also didn't start writing until my later years (late 30s). Hope you have as much fun as i've had
    by Ann66 at 21:15 on 13 January 2010
    Thanks Emma, Jim, Casey. Im sure I will be seeing alot of you around the forums! Looking forward to many happy hours on here.

ann.x
    by Nuada Argatlam at 15:12 on 30 January 2010
    At least you finsihed your stories. My problem has always been completing, so my memories are of stories which never got to an ending! I have the same problem now: I have two novels and a piece of original research on the go but do what a friend has called 'else-ing', ie doing anything else but get down to it! With the novels I have the idea for a plot and write the parts which are strongly in mind then pepper the rest with summaries or ideas, not to mention leaving dates, names and references out to be coordinated later! I am shy of showing my work to friends so I hope that getting some feedback from this site will be the spur I need to carry on!
    Good luck with your work. Some comfort: if you only have limiteed time, I am sure you will use it. That was my exerience, just as currently, now that I do have time, I find it incredibly hard to discipline myself!
    by steven56jacob at 17:51 on 23 December 2015
    I've been a member but in active so I'm wondering if I can be a trial member

steven56jacob
    sjacobson56@comcast
    steven jacobson
    by funnyvalentine at 16:50 on 31 December 2015
    Hi Anne and welcome.  It's a wonderful site and the people here have taught me so much. Enjoy!
    Edited by funnyvalentine at 17:15:00 on 31 December 2015 OOps sorry - thought it was recent!
    Edited by funnyvalentine at 17:15:00 on 31 December 2015
    by Anna Reynolds at 14:29 on 03 January 2016
    Hi Steven, I have asked our webmaster about this so will let you know.

by V`yonne at 14:44 on 06 January 2016
    Flash Fiction is good if you can write really short stuff or if you're into poetry Flash Poetry :) Welcome.
    by J753 at 19:21 on 12 January 2016
    Hi, Ann. I'm new here as well, been writing for a while though. Due to illness I was forced to stop, but raring to get going again. I was a member of a different site, which has closed down, many years ago and found it extremely helpful. When I found this place, today, I joined on a trial basis too, but having had a look around I'm sure I'll be upgrading soon.

J

• This 22 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >