Login   Sign Up 

• New here
    by Novembrist at 21:14 on 06 September 2013
    Hi everyone --- thinking of joining but fancy a look around first. I write short stories and poems and am really after very frank, very constructive criticism. I've noticed a lot of online writing groups are a bit, er, soft, and back-slappy, or have gotten like that --- I don't remember it always being that way. Anyway I'm really looking forward to reading some of your stuff.

bye for now
  • Re: New here
    by GaiusCoffey at 22:45 on 06 September 2013
    Hi Novembrist,
    Welcome!
    You might like to wander over to the Intensive Critique group and take a look around - Manusha does a great job as host and it seems to be one of the more active groups here.
    G

Corrupted by demons from the seventh circle at 22:45:00 on 06 September 2013

Spattered in blood from the ensuing battle at 22:46:00 on 06 September 2013

Edited by GaiusCoffey at 22:47:00 on 06 September 2013
    by EmmaD at 23:00 on 06 September 2013
    Hi Novembrist, and welcome to WW.

Gaius's suggestion is good - the supportiveness which WW goes in for is certainly not at the expense of real, thoughtful critiquing...
    by CarolineSG at 10:01 on 10 September 2013
    Gaius! How do you DO these things???? You're like some manic Writewords software genie.

(welcome Novembrist!)
    by Novembrist at 10:50 on 10 September 2013
    Gaius, Emma, that's a great idea, thank you! I've been a bit busy since signing up but am looking forward to wading through some prose and getting to know the place better.
    by Account Closed at 13:26 on 10 September 2013
    Gaius! How do you DO these things???? You're like some manic Writewords software genie.

Each time you edit, it adds another edit line (from the second edit onwards). Then you can keep changing the wording.

Gaius did teach us how to change font sizes but I've forgotten that one.
    by Manusha at 16:03 on 11 September 2013
    Welcome to WriteWords, Novembrist. I hope you enjoy your time with us. Following Gaius' kind suggestion, yes, you would be very welcome to join Intensive Critique. I see that you've already posted some work and would need to become a full member to join another group, but if you decide to stick around it would be a pleasure to get to know you and read your work.

Personally I think the joining fee is well worth the money. In fact I think the fee is far too low. I would be more than willing to sell the wife, house and kids just so I could pay £500 a month. Indeed, I've already put the car on the market in order to donate the proceeds to this establishment of fine and admirable writers. I'm sure it will inspire others to do the same.

Andy

Cripes, I hope Admin doesn't read this at 16:04:00 on 11 September 2013

If they do I'll say I was dribblingly drunk at 16:05:00 on 11 September 2013

Sharley, just found the link for the font thingy:
    http://www.writewords.org.uk/forum/51_408263.asp?y=1&sterm=testing
    I think it only works in a forum thread though, not the comment threads in the groups.

Edited by Manusha at 16:46:00 on 11 September 2013
    by Account Closed at 11:01 on 12 September 2013
    Thanks Andy

I prefer the standard-size font, but it's nice to remember how to enlarge or decrease the size.

by CarolineSG at 11:33 on 12 September 2013
    Each time you edit, it adds another edit line (from the second edit onwards). Then you can keep changing the wording

Eh? * scratches head and feels extremely thick*
    by EmmaD at 13:18 on 12 September 2013
    LoL Manusha and Gaius!

Caroline, if you edit something after you've posted it, it has a line at the bottom saying that you have. If you then edit it again, that line is in the window with all the other text, so you can change it.