Login   Sign Up 

This 24 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • National Short Story Week Claygate & Esher Short Fiction Festival
    by cherys at 19:25 on 24 November 2010
    Last call for participants in this mini festival of first rate tutors. If you live in Surrey or South London, come over. It's all run from a little hall in a pretty garden of the Foley Arms pub in the village of Claygate, just 30 mins from Waterloo or 15 mins from Wimbledon overground on the Guildford to Cobham line.

This Friday 7.30-9.30pm multiple award winning author Vanessa Gebbie focuses on breaking through writers' block and working to your full creative capacity in Flashlights - instant flash fiction workshop.

On Saturday 1.30-3.30pm our own Geri Ryan is selling out fast with her Storm in a Teacup guide to writing fiction for women's magazines.

4.30-6.30pm WW's star expert and bestselling novelist, Emma Darwin is running a session on writing for radio, Writing On Air.

Sunday, 1.30-3.30 is Samantha Mackintosh - high energy ex-editor at Puffin Books. If you write for children she's unmissable, tossing out up to the minute advice on which agents and publishers want what right now in the children's fiction world. She's scarily well-connected, (now edits fiction for Penguin) but very approachable.

Finally I'm running a session on how to get your short fiction noticed in awards, it's a practical, detailed expansion of what I touched on in the guest blog on Emma's Itch of Writing. That's Alchemy on Sunday, 4.30-6.30

All events £20 or £15 for unemployed and OAPs.

• Re: National Short Story Week Claygate & Esher Short Fiction Festival
    by Cornelia at 13:32 on 25 November 2010
    Booked two sessions and looking forward to this.

Sheila
    by cherys at 16:52 on 29 November 2010
    Jem and EmmaD ran stonkingly good workshops at the festival, and it was great to see Sheila (Cornelius) too.
    by EmmaD at 19:29 on 29 November 2010
    It was a really enjoyable session - would love to have heard Jem's!

Emma
    by Cornelia at 19:49 on 29 November 2010
    I booked for Jem's and yours, Emma, then figured out the hours of sitting involved -two plus two for workshops then another hour each way (at least) for travelling. No way my dodgy leg would tolerate that! So I asked Susannah to change me to Susannah's on Sunday instead of yours, even though I didn't want to enter comptetitions. (Now I do!)

Hope you'll repeat yours at a location near me (or anywhere in London, come to that)

Both sessions were great -I'm going to blog, but so far only uploaded the photos.

Cherys, I didn't realise it was you!

Sheila
    by cherys at 11:00 on 04 December 2010
    Uploaded photos? Where Sheila? Where, where, where?

x S
    by Cornelia at 11:16 on 04 December 2010
    Cherys I've only uploaded the photos onto my blog so far, and still need to add the text- hopefully tomorrow, then I'll post to the blog group on this site. No people in them, though -just the venue, and the High Street.

Sheila
    by cherys at 12:21 on 04 December 2010
    What's your blog called Sheila?
    by Cornelia at 12:40 on 04 December 2010
    This should get you to the writing one. It has a link to my other one, which is more about plays and visits.

http://mykindofwriting.blogspot.com/

I hope you like it.

Sheila
    by Jem at 13:12 on 04 December 2010
    Just visited your blog, Sheila and left a comment.
    by Cornelia at 13:19 on 04 December 2010
    Ooh, that's kind, Jem. Congrats, by the way, on your orphan story, the first one I read in the TAB Christmas special.

Sheila
    by cherys at 20:35 on 04 December 2010
    Hi Sheila,

I can get onto your blog, but can't see any pics or anything after 26th Nove,ber. Am I being dense?

S
    by Cornelia at 23:09 on 04 December 2010
    No, Cherys. It means I haven't uploaded them yet because I need to add the text. Tomorrow.

Sheila
    by Jem at 09:42 on 05 December 2010
    Oh, is it out, Sheila? I didn't think it would be till next week.
    by Cornelia at 11:13 on 05 December 2010
    I bought it at Waterloo WHSmiths on my way back from Claygate, as advised by the workshop tutor -a women with a northern accent and a red hat. The date on the front just says Christmas 2010. I've only read your story so far, a sympathetic (and seasonal ) take on the insecurity of fostered/adopted children. It reminded me of a good friend of mine.

The second one is Teresa Ashby's (to me) unlikely tale of a divorced couple brought together by the birth of their first grandchild. I haven't read any more yet.

Sheila

• This 24 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >