Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Mad Men
    by CarolineSG at 17:08 on 17 May 2008
    Just wondered if anyone is watching this series? It's my favourite thing of the moment and for anyone who hasn't come across it, I urge you to rush out and rent the box set once it's available.

It's set in 1960 in an advertising agency on Madison Avenue (NYC), which is where the title comes from. It's a horribly misogynous and bigoted world, where every woman is a 'girl' and treated like one, and anti-Semitism is the norm. The main character, Donald Draper, has a gorgeous wife who looks a bit Stepford but is ready to go off the rails soon, a past he's trying to conceal, while keeping the business together, having two mistresses and doing a hell of a lot of smoking. They all smoke like chimneys. The dialogue is razor sharp, it's beautiful to look at (I even love the opening credits) and I haven't even mentioned the wonderful Peggy, DD's secretary who is a better copy writer than the rest of the men put together.

I didn;t really mean to write a review. I just wanted to say 'doncha love it?' so apologies if this summary is a bit crap!
  • Re: Mad Men
    by Jem at 17:13 on 17 May 2008
    I missed the first one of these though I was really looking forward to it after reading a favourable preview in the RT and then it seemed too late to catch up. But it sounds like a great box set for Christmas.
    by CarolineSG at 17:41 on 17 May 2008
    Yes, good idea.

Comfy, here in C&E isn't it? Well done you for getting the ball rolling, I say!
    by Jem at 18:51 on 17 May 2008
    Might just be you and me, Caroline, though! I'm about to sit down to tonight's cultural highlights on TV. Dr Who and Love Soup. What about you?
    by CarolineSG at 20:24 on 17 May 2008
    Dr Who, which is becoming an especially lovely family TV event now the youngest is allowed to watch it.

But have to say, tonight's was a load of shite, in my view. And irritated me hugely by having Agatha Christie ignorant of 'moving pictures' in the bleedin' 1920s. Several people must have been involved in that script and they all ought to be fired for letting that slip through!

Not to mention the crimes against storytelling.
    by Jem at 12:55 on 18 May 2008
    Absolutely agree. I really don't like it since Billie Piper was replaced. I didn't like Martha and I don't like Catherine Tate in the role. There's no real journey she can make, is there? unlike Rose who developed from being an ordinary girl to someone so brave and nursing a secret love. I also loved Rose's family, too, especially her Mum. CT is too old for the role and also too known for what she did before. It's hard to stop thinking that any minute now she's going to shout out 'Am I bovvered?' or 'What a fuckin' liberty!'
    by cherys at 19:16 on 18 May 2008
    Mad Men is brilliant. It's so bleak and understated. I love it. Sublime acting from every single member of the cast. It's the only thing I watch with relish.

Sorry to be a nerd but I think the line in Dr Who was 'talking pictures.' The first full length talking picture appeared in the late twenties and Christie went missing the year before. Oh I am a nerd.
    by CarolineSG at 19:29 on 18 May 2008
    No, not nerdy! I'm actually really pleased I was wrong because it was so very disappointing! Thank you Cerys.

I'm still enjoying it generally, and even like CT as an assistant. Just thought last night's was crap, even aside from that line...

Quite agree about Mad Men too - it really is a class act.
    by tiger_bright at 13:15 on 21 May 2008
    I'm watching! I find Don a tad tedious - we are spoon-fed the idea that he is a complex man of layers to SUCH an extent that I'm resisting it! But I love the women. Betty (when she took the airgun to the neighbour's pigeons I was cheering) and especially Joanie who just dazzles me whenever she's on screen. The show has a fabulous website with great photos and interviews and info about costumes and production values. I wish they hadn't got shot of Roger Sterling - he was my favourite of the men.

Tiger
    by CarolineSG at 13:27 on 21 May 2008
    Isn't it just the best? Is Joanie the completely gorgeous red-haired one? Even I fancy her and I am heterosexual

Betty with the pigeons was fabulous, wasn't she? She looks as though she might just explode into millions of perfectly groomed pieces any moment. I hope the Kennedy campaigning neighbour returns at some point too...
    by tiger_bright at 13:29 on 21 May 2008
    Yes Joanie has that effect on me, too!

I'm far more fascinated by Betty's struggle against her fate than I am by Don's macho posturing. In fact, handsome as he is, he rather annoys me.

by CarolineSG at 13:35 on 21 May 2008
    I only really find him annoying in his behaviour (especially his infantilising behaviour with women) but I guess I'm supposed to feel that. I do like him as a character.

What's the name of oily little creep at work who's out to get him? He makes me shudder. I'm sure he's going to go on a gun rampage or some other awful thing soon! They all look so interesting though...one of the things I love about it, is that everyone has a very individual face, whether it's beautiful or plain.
    by tiger_bright at 13:37 on 21 May 2008
    Pete Campbell is the oily baby-face that wants Don's job. I spoilered myself for the finale by looking at photos from the last episode. I haven't caught up with Sunday's episode yet - is it the flashback to Don all sweaty as a soldier? I might just find I like him a bit better than I thought. Why yes, I'm shallow, thanks for asking!
    by CarolineSG at 13:40 on 21 May 2008
    Ooh-er, I like the sound of that too, ha ha! No, haven't seen it yet, we save it (rather sadly) for a Friday night treat!

I even like the bit in the opening credits with the leg. Honestly, I'm such a sad fab...

<Added>

um, fan of course
    by cherys at 19:00 on 21 May 2008
    Oh I haven't seen anything with soldiers yet either.
    Isn't Joanie as lustrous as Marilyn Monroe? I have to put a bucket under my husband to catch the drool. Where did they find her?
    And fabulous Stepford Betty who I hope will get all radical on him and run off to groove at Woodstock, and the secretary who I want to end up running the company. Yes, Roger was the best male character, though i do love hating the oily boy.

• This 22 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >