Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Has anyone read When We Were Bad by Charlotte Mendelsson?
    by CarolineSG at 11:19 on 20 May 2008
    I loved it. It's about a big Jewish family in North London, where the mother is a hugely successful rabbi and media figure. There is a glossary of all the Jewish words and slang used at the back and I am dying for the opportunity to call someone a 'schmendrick'....what a brilliant word! Apparently it is a particularly pathetic example of a 'schlmiel'!
  • Re: Has anyone read When We Were Bad by Charlotte Mendelsson?
    by Jem at 14:10 on 20 May 2008
    Oh! Oh! Caroline! You are my new best friend! I read the prologue and chapter 1 last night before I fell asleep. Am taking to this to France tomorrow to read on the train. It looks great!

<Added>

Have you ever read 'The Joys of Yiddish'? It's a hilarious glossary of Yiddish terms.
    by CarolineSG at 14:21 on 20 May 2008
    Ha ha, come on over and have tea this instant!

No, not read that. Sounds brill though. Such rich, expressive language isn't it?

I took a little time getting into WWWB but loved it after the first 50 pages or so. I actually bought it in error, on the back of an entertaining newspaper column in the Guardian by a writer of a best-selling book about a big Jewish family...turned out it was Naomi Alderman's Disobedience. Was a very happy accident though, because WWWB was brilliant. Hope you enjoy it!
    by scotgal at 16:15 on 20 May 2008
    I recently finished 'Daughters of Jerusalem' which I enjoyed, so will be looking out for WWWB.
    by Jem at 22:45 on 26 May 2008
    Back from France - couldn't put this book down!!!! Now can't wait to read her others! The momentum was brilliant. I loved Norman! I just wish the two youngest kids could have got theirs!
    by CarolineSG at 17:10 on 27 May 2008
    Wasn't it brill?I'm so glad you liked it, Jem.
    Am now really enjoying Blake Morrison's South of the River, which is a real thumper and a very satisfying read. What's next on your list?

<Added>

Haven't had the chance to call anyone a schmendrick yet though...
    by Jem at 19:24 on 27 May 2008
    Schmendrick is my absolute favourite word of all time. I have used it to my son because he'd failed to mow the lawn while we were away saying he thought it might bring his hay fever out!
    Have just ordered Daughters of Jerusalem from Amazon 2nd Hand.

Why is this thread printing 3 times?

<Added>

Oh, sorry - I'm now reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, more as a bit of work really - to see how she did what she did. Before 'When We Were Bad' I read 'The Clothes on their Backs' by Linda Grant, which was all right but not anywhere near as good as WWWB.

Have you bought The Joys of Yiddish yet? There's other Leo Rostens too which are brilliant - the Duddy Kravitz books, for instance.