Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Nice one!
    by Rainstop at 03:57 on 21 May 2008
    You're all asleep now. I picture you in darkened rooms, bodies and minds turning, but you don't know it.

I'm reading Graham Greene's A Burnt-out Case, while you sleep.

'The door of the apartment was opened by an African woman, tousled and sleepy, who looked as though she had been sharing the controller's siesta. The controller was an elderly Fleming who spoke very little English. The pouches under his eyes were like purses that contained the smuggled memories of a disappointing life.'

If I can, one day, write one sentence to match that last one, it will all be worthwhile.

Sincerely, Rod.
  • Re: Nice one!
    by Account Closed at 10:06 on 21 May 2008
    Actually I was up, reading The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende, and I now have the pouches under my eyes to match that elderly Fleming!

Sarah
    by NMott at 11:17 on 21 May 2008
    I'm reading Deric Longden's Lost For Words. Very funny. About his mother and the months following his wife's death - although it's the cats that get the starring roles, such as his mother's long suffering moggie, Whiskey:

He hung in mid-air under my mother's arm as she stood at the door to see us off.....as I turned the key in the ignition we waved goodbye. My mother gave us a lovely smile and as she flung her arm high into the air to wave back the cat dropped with a dull thud on to the concrete path.
    by Anna Reynolds at 20:43 on 21 May 2008
    I'm re-reading The Women's Room by Marilyn French- frightening how many things I still identify with...I re-read it every year or so. It's like a fantastic blockbuster and I adore the detail of the women's lives, but am depressed that it still feels relevant in so many ways... I'm usually too knackered after working and running round after a three year old to watch TV, other than the inevitable Disney Princess DVD's. But I did go to an urban circus the other day and watching a beautiful aerialist tumbling down a rope, into scarlet rose petals, thinking she was going to actually hit the floor, I felt really inspired by it, somehow. Plus they soundtracked the whole thing to Massive Attack's Teardrop which made it oddly moving. Does that count as culture? It was amazing.No words, obviously, other than the lyrics.
    by Account Closed at 23:19 on 21 May 2008
    Oh, love Massive Attack...
    by Rainstop at 10:54 on 22 May 2008
    Anne,

The Women's Room is one of my all time favourites. I read it years ago and it switched me on to feminism. It's one of those books that changed my view of the world. I really must read it again.

Nice one! Rod.

<Added>

Oooooops, Anna. Sorry!

I was just too excited by the mention of that book

<Added>

Also, never been so lagged in my life. After flying KL to Singapore yesterday then Singapore to LHR last night, then straight to the office where I'm trying to work. The room keeps shifting as if there's been an earthquake. Quite trippy.
    by helen black at 11:16 on 22 May 2008
    I love the Women's Room and how odd to have picked it up during the commons vote on the abortion limits! Subconcious at work I suspect.
    As for Massive Attack - I think they've written some of the most perfect music ever.
    HB x
    by CarolineSG at 13:10 on 22 May 2008
    Yes, I agree that this was a fantastic and very important book.

But Anna, too tired for TV? isn;t that what it was invented for?
    by geoffmorris at 21:25 on 22 May 2008
    "I picture you in darkened rooms, bodies and minds turning, but you don't know it."

I'd say that's a bloody good line right there.
    by Rainstop at 10:38 on 23 May 2008
    Wow! Thanks very much.
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:38 on 23 May 2008
    Too tired for TV...hmm, but I mean something that sounds like it needs watching properly, stimulating rather than just vegging in front of- sounds like Mad Men would become addictive for me, and I am convinced my daughter always wakes and cries at the most inopportune moment- she used to wake up and scream just at the crucial end of a DV/tv movie, so I am still in that mindset. Anyone recommend anything not too taxing but not brain-dead to watch at the moment, then?
    by CarolineSG at 13:54 on 23 May 2008
    Definitely the Apprentice. I laughed so much the other evening I was literally wiping the tears away with my sleeve.
    by tinyclanger at 13:24 on 24 May 2008
    Oh, the Apprentice has me - a vehement reality TV hater - absolutely hooked. It's hilarious! What a bunch of insufferable plonkers. Except the good looking one. That guy with the Greek-y name....yuk, yuk yuk. (read Zettel's review, elsewhere on WW - its fabulous)
    Anna do try and see it, it's fab.
    Though probably not very cultured....I can't actually think of anything I watch that is, really, which seems a bit sad, any maybe says a lot about me...? I seem to watch TV for fluffy, light throwaway stuff. Very rarely find anything deep or moving or authentic..?
    For that I read, go to cinema or theatre, I suppose.

Anyone go and see 'The Diving Bell and The Butterfly' at the cinema? (or was it the otherway round?) That ticked all the boxes for me. Extremely challenging and moving, beautiful camera work and structure. I'd read the book and found it a bit flat, but the film made it alive and utterly heartbreaking. One of those that when the credits roll, you just have to sit there, too dazed to move for a bit.

x
    tc

by Rainstop at 16:09 on 24 May 2008
    And to think I started this thread with a beautiful quote from Graham Greene. Sigh.

p.s Anyone else really looking forward to Eurovision tonight?