Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
    by Account Closed at 16:29 on 22 May 2008
    Has anyone read this? I'm just getting to the end and will finish on the train to London tonight. It's been a wonderful read. I do love all that South American magical realism, so if that's not for you, don't bother. But this is a wonderful story, spanning four generations, taking in a lot of history and revolution on the way. A real treat in which to lose yourself.

Sarah
  • Re: The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
    by CarolineSG at 13:56 on 23 May 2008
    Sarah
    Read it a long long time ago but really loved it. Remember I bored on to everyone I knew until they read it to shut me up. Have you read GGM's Love in the Time of Cholera? Another fabulous, beautiful book.
    by Account Closed at 15:01 on 23 May 2008
    Yes, I think I recently bored everyone to death in WF on Love in the Time of Cholera. I adored it. I'm a bit frightened to go and see the film in case it spoils it for me.

I just think Esteban Trueba in The House of the Spirits is the most amazingly flawed hero... every character is so vivid and vital... I love it. What to read next though!

Sarah
    by cherys at 19:50 on 23 May 2008
    Read it years ago and loved it then. So long ago, I should read it again.
    by CarolineSG at 16:56 on 24 May 2008
    Ah, what to read next! You'll probably wish you hadn't said that....

I've recently enjoyed When we were bad (see below!) by Charlotte Mendelsson; Arlington Park by Rachel Cusk and What was lost by Catherine O Flynn. Have just started South of the River by Blake Morrison, which looks good so far.