Login   Sign Up 

This 43 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  2  3  > >  
  • Re: Sex and the City
    by CarolineSG at 13:41 on 29 May 2008
    am I mixing her up with the author of 'We've got to talk about Kevin?'

Sheila, SITC person is Candace Bushnell and the Guardian/Kevin writer is Lionel Shriver. These two definitely wouldn't be mates....
    by Cornelia at 15:25 on 29 May 2008
    Caroline, it's a good thing one of us has still got some of her marbles left. I'm sure I've read Ariel's column, though. Could it be The Sunday Times? The other one's a bit grim, although she's got a new haircut. In fact, I think Lionel was comparing her own looks with Jessica Parker's before she went in for it, saying that she, too, had a long face.I meant her writing is a bit intense. Whay does hse have a man's name?

I can't figure out why Jessica doesn't have that mole removed. You can understand it with Charman Mao - a mole on the chin is associated with great leadership or something in Chinese face-reading lore.

I'm not being bitchy - it's just that they are all in favour of getting beautified and money is no problem, so why? Maybe it's a Margaret Lockwood sort of thing - they used to apply false beauty spots in those days.

Just checked the Cineworld times for SATC and think I could make it for the 9.15pm performance after the SOAS talk. I'll see how I feel.Probably I'll be too tired. It hasn't been reviewed in Sight &Sound yet as far as I can see, although the June edition came earlier in the week. It wasn't in May's.

Sheila
    by CarolineSG at 15:33 on 29 May 2008
    Caroline, it's a good thing one of us has still got some of her marbles left.

Hmm, I wouldn't bank on that, Sheila

The funny thing about LS is that she actually chose to call herself Lionel. I think her real name is something really conventional.
    I'm quite fascinated by her. I like her grumpy Guardian columns, and loved 'Kevin', although I haven't fancied any of the others...

<Added>

Oh sorry, just realised I completely misunderstood you back there! Thought you were confusing CB with LS...sorry!
    by Jem at 15:51 on 29 May 2008
    I don't know why I never watched SATC. I think the timing was wrong - maybe I'd just had my twins and then I lost track. I'm sure it was very good but I think after missing series one I just didn't get into it. Sorry about that, Caroline - and Indiana Jones. It's good to hear the Over 50's male AND female are heading the box office charts, though!
    by Cornelia at 22:03 on 29 May 2008
    I'm sure I'd lose track of more than TV series if I had twins. Well done you for surviving what must have been a real challenge.

There was too big a gap in time between the talk at SOAS and the next screening of SATC so I'll go tomorrow afternoon, I think.

The one I heard on the radio saying she was a lesbian was called Cynthia Nixon. Ironically, she's the one who married and had a child first in the series.

I read a review in the Evening Standard which said the language is crude in one particular part.

Sheila

<Added>

Cruder than the TV version, that is.
    by susieangela at 22:08 on 29 May 2008
    From what I hear you'll be lucky to get a seat, Sheila. Apparently cinemas are booked out for months...
    I loved it.
    Susiex
    by Jem at 22:21 on 29 May 2008
    http://www.fashionwindows.com/blog/images/2008/04/kim_cattrall.jpg

Doesn't she look great? I might try that look down at my local Aldi!
    by Cornelia at 22:21 on 29 May 2008
    Susie, I think that's just outside of working hours. There's a performance every hour from 1pm at my local Cineworld. Oh no! What if all those Canary Wharf females take Friday afternoon off! I'd better get down there good and early.

Sheila
    by Sidewinder at 22:44 on 29 May 2008
    I might try that look down at my local Aldi!

Knock 'em dead, Jem!
    by charlottetheduck at 11:30 on 30 May 2008
    I saw it on Wednesday when it came out. Oh dear, I hated it

I so wanted to love it too but... it just didn't live up to the series in any way. Such a shame (especially as I have tickets to see it again next week, so convinced was I that I'd love it!)
    by Cornelia at 23:08 on 30 May 2008
    I was bored a lot of the time because of the lack of plot interest and the length, but some of it was mildly entertaining. I can see why they didn't let the critics have previews.

I'm not obsessed with frocks and shoes and handbags and I'm way out of the target age-group, so I'm not the best judge.It was poor as films go, I thought. As a kind of fashion showcase with a few swish locations it seemed to work well enough and the acting was much as before, although better suited to the hour-long TV series with tighter storylines. Only the actor who played Big was challenged beyond his acting ability, but he always was a bit of a cypher. You can see where the sponsors got their money's worth.

On the way back I read a rave review in 'Metro', giving it four stars out of five! So there you are.

Sheila

by Jem at 09:38 on 31 May 2008
    There was a brilliantly funny review in The Guardian yesterday online. I'll see if I can find it.

<Added>

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Guardian_review/0,,2282766,00.html

Here 'tis!
    by Cornelia at 11:31 on 31 May 2008
    Jem, I just read this, but I think Peter Bradshaw is too kind.

I'll comment more later, when more people will know what I'm talking about, but it was the Carrie-turned-book(as distinct from magazine)-reader and subsequent trip to the library - for a plot purpose - that astonished me most. Were there book-cases in the apartments that I missed? Did Carrie ever read a book in any of the TV episodes? Isn't 40 a bit old for 'Wuthering Heights'? Did the NY library appear in the sponsors' credit list? After two and a half hours I didn't stay to watch.

Sheila

by charlottetheduck at 11:35 on 31 May 2008
    Yes I was bemused by the library thing too, as I only ever remember seeing rows and rows of Vogue in her apartment before. Hmmm. I just thought it wasn't funny or pithy or clever like the series, and I couldn't believe how haggard they were all looking. Maybe it was because of the big screen, I dunno. SJP's hands were like a granny's and it just didn't seem very glamorous to me...

Funny review Jem, but I also think a bit generous. I reckon if the TV show had never existed and this film had come out on its own, it would have been a huge flop.

<Added>

Plus, the ending really annoyed me. Don't want to spoil it for people but I think it's the exact opposite of what should have happened if the film was staying true to the over-riding message of the series.
    by Cornelia at 12:12 on 31 May 2008
    Totally agree, Charlotte - contradictory stuff thrown in as if the audience is too dumb to notice.

I don't know where they get these sycophantic Guardian reviwers from, but Derek Malcolm was worse. In my opinion he had to go in the end because he just had too many 'friends' in the business. He reviews elsewhere, now, but I suspect that as then he just relates the plot for fear of offending anybody.

Sheila
  • This 43 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  2  3  > >