Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 43 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 > >  
  • Re: Sex and the City
    by Jem at 15:57 on 31 May 2008
    I like Mark Kermode best as I must have said a hundred times on this site. And he's BACK on Tuesday when the Culture Show returns! (I have a bit of a crush on him. Weird, but we can't always control who we fall in love with, can we?)
    by Cornelia at 18:14 on 31 May 2008
    I was a bit harsh on Derek Malcolm. I once saw him onstage at the BFI supposed to be interviewing the leads from The Film 'Castaway', but he was rendered speechless by Amanda Donohoe's presence. Oliver Reed was menacing him but so drunk he could harly move.

Mark Kermode - any relation to Frank, and do you write fan letters? I admire Jonathan Miller.

Sheila
    by Account Closed at 10:08 on 01 June 2008
    The TV series was enjoyable enough, in a kind of instantly-forgettable-but-chews-up-a-reasonably-entertaining-hour way. I don't think it justified a full length movie - why not just make another series? I'm not one of these screaming fans who think SJP is a goddess or something, and the SATC movie strikes me as definitely being one for the DVD, on a very slow night at the video store. Kind of like, you want to watch it to see what all the fuss is about, but you won't bleed if you don't.

Carrie Bradshaw: Love is the best label of all.

Erm...

JB

by Jem at 12:09 on 01 June 2008
    Sheila - I made the mistake of thinking Frank and mark are related bit they're not. It was someone on this site who put me straight about that, actually. And yes - Jonathon Miller is Renaissance man. But he's retired from public life, now, hasn't he?

<Added>

PS No, I don't write fan letters, btw!
    by Sidewinder at 12:13 on 01 June 2008
    I saw it last night, and sadly I have to agree, I found it really disappointing - and I loved the series.

It had none of the edginess of the TV show, and at times it was hard to believe it was made by the same team of people. There was just the occasional brief glimpse of the old spark, which was kind of sad. And it was too long - could have done without all those montages of fashion shows and photo shoots. In the TV show the clothes and shoes were just accessories, but in the movie they were taking centre stage too much of the time. They could have done without the whole mawkish storyline about the PA too.

My mum loved it though!
    by Jem at 08:17 on 04 June 2008
    Loved Mark Kermode's metaphor on The Culture Show last night, when he said that SATC was a film with a handbag at its centre instead of a heart. I love you, Mr Kermode!
    by Cornelia at 09:44 on 04 June 2008
    Jem, from the look of him, Mark Kermode shouldn't , criticise anyone for being obsessed with appearance. It must take ages to glue his hair into that weird shape.

It was past my bed-time but a bad cold made me cry off from The Peony Pavilion. Holby City is no substitute, although the programme about Victorian food was entertaining. Sue Perkins was even funnier than ever, trying to stride about in a crinoline and and fainting. You'd have thought she could have had her hair curled in George Eliot ringlets instead of having it flop all over her face. If they can do it for Mark...

What's the function of that woman with the Jean Harlow hairdo and short Cinderella ball dress without the underskirts? Does she ever get to express an opinion? I ws waiitng for her to say something in favour of SATC so there would be some kind of debate. Is he just there to agree with Mark?

I remember I used to download a radio prgramme of his onto my computer, called The Mark Kermode Film Show.

I don't think I'll be watching agan, but I liked the elderly rock star with the falsetto voice that came on at the end. I can't remember what else was covered, but the medicinal whisky had kicked in, I expect.

The antics on 'The Apprentice' should be some consolation for cancelling another outing tonight- at least I haven't paid for that.

Sheila
    by Jem at 17:04 on 04 June 2008
    Sheila,
    Lauren Laverne doesn't review the films, she just does the interviews, hence she didn't comment on SATC I guess.
    by Cornelia at 17:09 on 04 June 2008
    Lauren Laverne! Excellent name.

Sheila
    by Jem at 18:25 on 04 June 2008
    Not her real surname, obviously! She was in a girlband called Kenickie or something. I quite like her but I know my kids find her dead irritating.
    by amiria at 14:17 on 18 June 2008
    I know I'm really late to this thread, but I went and saw it last night and was gutted. It was about an hour too long and the ending really peeved me off. Someone earlier in the thread said that if this had come out as a movie not based on a series it would have flopped. SO right!

Am I also the only person to think that, half the time, they look bloody ridiculous in their 'get ups?'
    by Cornelia at 15:22 on 18 June 2008
    It was a fair signal, I suppose, when the producers were so keen to keep it away from the critics before it was screened at cinemas.

Sheila
    by Account Closed at 14:41 on 19 June 2008
    I enjoyed it, but didn't think the writing was as sharp as the series and the ending was a bit neat and cutsie for me. The men in the audience at our showing found it HILARIOUS, i was surprised.
  • This 43 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 > >