Login   Sign Up 

• Kingdom of Heaven...
    by Account Closed at 19:34 on 05 June 2008
    Just invested several hours and watched this. I can't understand why it was panned by the critics... fantastic sets and battle scenes and a good story. I wonder if it was the balance and somewhat pro islamic nature of the story. Maybe too much for some to stomach at a particularly sensitive time. I know I want to read lots about Saladin (spelling?) now.

Bet you liked it JB! If you haven't seen it yet - I'm sure you will enjoy.

Sarah
  • Re: Kingdom of Heaven...
    by Jem at 21:43 on 05 June 2008
    Sarah - I must admit to being a bit baffled. I watch loads of films - I mean loads - but I've not heard of any of these last three films you've posted about. I'm beginning to think we must be living in parallel universes.
    by Account Closed at 21:50 on 05 June 2008
    Jem - Kingdom of Heaven was BIG BLOCKBUSTER - has Orlando Bloom as a knight travelling to Jerusalem in the time of the Crusades... Liam Neeson, Jeremy Irons, and lots of other famous luvvies. It is a BIG budget film - gorgeous, stunning visually and for that alone it's fantastic. Maybe more for the boys than the girls - maybe? - hard to say as I do go for that sort of thing, and I loved the battle scenes which were incredible... very gory. There is a love story in there too, but subtle.

Sarah

by Account Closed at 23:03 on 05 June 2008
    Hi

I watched it and thought it was good. I'm a bit keen on the crusades anyway, and Kingdom of Heaven depicted the atmosphere rather well. Only downside was Orlando Bloom. I'm not a huge fan, but overall it was an alright film. Didn't blow me away, but didn't deserve the panning, no.

JB
    by Jem at 09:01 on 06 June 2008
    SB, that probably escapes why I didn't fancy it! I do prefer low-key, often British or European films and it has to have got a very good review for me to go and watch it - hence my totally ignoring SATC. I am looking forward to The Waiting Room with Anne-Marie Duff, who I've admired ever since I first saw her in The Magdalene Sisters and later in SHameless. I also saw her at The Young Vic in a Restoration Comedy and she was brilliant. Sjhe's got a fantastic singing voice, to add to her other talents. (And a lovely husband too, of course!)
    Gosh, sounds like I've got a proper pash, doesn't it!
    by CarolineSG at 09:44 on 06 June 2008
    I haven't seen the movie but I also really liked AMD, Jem!!! You are my soul sister!
    by MF at 12:40 on 06 June 2008
    I thought that it was an entertaining film - although I made the mistake of seeing it with a medieval scholar who just couldn't take it seriously. Not sure why this would bother the critics, though - historical inaccuracy didn't get in the way of Braveheart, did it?

And I loved what's-her-name's costume and makeup
    by Jem at 13:57 on 06 June 2008
    I always knew it, Caroline!
    by optimist at 16:23 on 06 June 2008
    Due to a clash in my social life I saw this twice at the pictures in the same week - and enjoyed

Orlando got a lot of stick for looking too pretty - but he's not bad in this - and it also has Edward Norton.

One for this girl

Sarah
    by Account Closed at 18:32 on 06 June 2008
    Orland Bloom is just gorgeous really. Perhaps he could have had a scar a la Jeremy Irons which might have helped...he would still look terribly pretty though! I bet it was amazing on the big screen - such opulent sets, really beautifully done. The sea was so blue. Dazzling images.

I just think people were being too prickly about the Christian v Muslim clash. And I don't mind it not being totally historically accurate,after all it's a story... though very long! I might watch it again tonight if there's nothing on tv... Peep Show would have been my highlight but it's dipped in form this series.

Sarah
    by optimist at 10:03 on 07 June 2008
    I enjoyed it - and yes it was great on the big screen.

I thought some of the criticism of Orlando relating to his looks was unfair - if applied to a female actor would have caused outrage? You know - pretty face = no brains?

It's just a great epic story - some fabulous set pieces and trying to deliver a sincere message? All too easy for the cynics to decry but I loved it - would happily watch it again. I rather think we may have the DVD - after my tidying excavations in the room where we put everything post flood I may even be able to find it

Sarah

by Steerpike`s sister at 18:17 on 07 June 2008
    I enjoyed it, though I remember hardly anything about it!