Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Nanook of the North - anyone seen this classic?
    by Steerpike`s sister at 18:22 on 07 June 2008
    It's a 1910 (I think) b&w, silent documentary shot by Robert Flaherty, about the lives of 'Eskimos' (sic) living in an isolated area near Baffin Bay. I thought it was wonderful. There was a real sense of the drama, knife-edge survival of these people's lives, of their characters - they seemed so natural - and of the film-maker's love for his subject. Astonishing footage of igloo building, fox trapping and seal hunting. Two years after the film was made, Nanook, the main person the film's about, went off hunting caribou and died of starvation. Incredible - I really recommend it.
  • Re: Nanook of the North - anyone seen this classic?
    by Account Closed at 20:38 on 07 June 2008
    No - will look out for this and I know why you have - your current wip! I remember reading the early chap a while back. Very good indeed.

Leila, Have you seen Map of the Human Heart - a film from the early eighties, I think? It has the most wonderful eskimo scenes and is a great film. Fantastic story. Might give you some interesting imagery.
    by Account Closed at 20:39 on 07 June 2008
    Ooh, there's another eskimo film called something like The Runners. That's fantastic too. Based on an old inuit myth. I'll google to try and find the right title.

<Added>

Ok- Leila, it's called The Fast Runner. Check it out. Brilliant.
    by Steerpike`s sister at 11:52 on 09 June 2008
    I've seen The Fast Runner! Well, not all the way through cos various things happened and it had to go back to the video shop, but it was very good as far as I got. I think the title it had on this box was The Legend of the Fast Man, Atatinuahaq (or something) I will look out Map of the Human Heart, thanks!
    Am reading Smilla's Feeling for Snow as well - how good is that - loving it.
    by Account Closed at 12:18 on 09 June 2008
    All those ways to describe snow! I loved Smilla too. Do watch Map of the Human Heart - I'd love to know what you think. It is flawed but it has a place in my heart as being one of my all time favourites. There's a wonderful scene at the start when the inuit children are playing and one of them starts coughing, and the blood splatters red over the snow. It's so strong visually - well a lot of the film is actually and at the end, I cried... which is pretty rare for me.