Login   Sign Up 

• Francine Prose
    by CarolineSG at 10:01 on 18 June 2008
    Don't you just love it when you discover a 'new' writer, who isn't new at all and has a huge back catalogue? Someone on here mentioned a book called How to Read Like a Writer by Francine Prose (sorry I can;t remember who it was, but thank you!). I bought this and also picked up her new novel, Blue Angel, which I'm reading first.
    It's about a creative writing teacher and his relationship with a student and is one of the best things I've read in a while. Her writing is sharp as a tack and very funny. Seems she is a huge literary star in the US but I'd never heard of her. And she's written TEN novels! Woohoo!!! Just thought I'd pass this on.
  • Re: Francine Prose
    by EmmaD at 10:16 on 18 June 2008
    Oooo, I've had her novels on my list to try because I adore How To Read Like A Writer. Good to know that it'll be worth it when I get to them. Now, don't read all ten too fast, Caroline, or you'll run out... Though at least she's still writing - nothing worse than discovering a dead writer and knowing that you'll come to the end and there'll be No More.

If anyone wants to know what How To Read Like A Writer is like, I blogged about it here: http://emmadarwin.typepad.com/thisitchofwriting/2007/08/at-last-a-real-.html

Emma
    by CarolineSG at 10:21 on 18 June 2008
    Emma! It must have been you, so thank you. I think you also recommended that book The Wood for the Trees, now I think about it, which was also brilliant. So keep 'em coming!

You're right, I must try not to gorge or I will only make myself sick

Hope you enjoy the novels when you get round to them.
    by EmmaD at 11:02 on 18 June 2008
    Well, I think it was Stefland who mentioned it recently on the forums, but I think it was my blog that he said he'd found out about it on. (now there's a sentence with too many prepositions at the end...)

I think it's Karma, because I'd never heard of it till a writing/teaching friend mentioned it, and the next day I walked into my local indie bookshop, which is perfectly formed but small, thinking I'd order it. And there was a US import on the shelf - must have been a cancelled order.

Emma