Login   Sign Up 

This 128 message thread spans 9 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4  5   6   7   8   9  > >  
  • Re: Divisive action on Big Brother
    by Jem at 08:50 on 22 July 2008
    Oh but you can!
    by Cornelia at 11:09 on 22 July 2008
    As for Northern men I am very sceptical about these Les Dawson types and can't say I've spotted many. I must take more notice next time I visit my home town. I'm going to nearby Liverpool on my way to Edinburgh, so that'll be my next chance. These Scots are very camp in their kilts, of course.

But if you look at, say, Coronation Street, the obviously gay characters are Shaun of the factory and his boyfriend, whom you might not suspect, and the putative repressed one is Rita's business parter at the Kabin, Norrris, who can't wait to stick his nose in to get the latest gossip which he immediatately spreads about. He often sweeps the area in front of the shop just to spy on his neighbours. Luke's like this - it's not a very masculine trait, I find. If I ask my partner did anthing interesting happen at the Bridge Club he'll say no and it's only weeks later I found out somebody ran off with the director's wife. It's a broad spectrum, though.

Incidentally, Jem, if you had not given me such a bum tip and caused me to go out to watch Mamma Mia instead, I might have more to say on the matter.

Oh, I know - maybe you are confusing Lancashire humour with a kind of campness - the way they will quote conversations with dramatic intonation and gestures?

Les Dawson dressed up in women's clothes, though, like that other one whose I don't quite remember, who used to say 'Ooh, you are naughty, but I like you!' Fred Emery? So that's more than camp.

Sheila

by Jem at 12:31 on 22 July 2008
    Oh, Sheila - you didn't like Mamma Mia then?
    by Cornelia at 12:45 on 22 July 2008
    I put my comments on that thread, Jem.

Sheila
    by susieangela at 23:33 on 22 July 2008
    Just to drag you, kicking and screaming, back to BB...
    Don't you think it's fascinating the way the house has neatly divided itself, just as in most classrooms, into The Beautiful People and The Geeks? In Heaven, we have Stuart, Rex, MaySoon, Dale (and they want Sara) while in Hell, we have Darnell, Katreya, Mikey, Lisa and Mohamed. And the most weird thing? How Luke and Bex have somehow managed to infiltrate The Beautiful People!
    Who do you think will go on Friday? My money's on Mohamed.
    Susiex
    by Jem at 08:57 on 23 July 2008
    Susie, Darnell has made that very point! Yes, probably Mo, but I wish it were Bex. That girl is insufferable. The kind of girl I'd have run a mile from - and did - at school. She's a Nanny!!! I wouldn't let her within 50 miles of my kids!
    by Cornelia at 09:26 on 23 July 2008
    I think Darnell should go - I agree with Jem - he's so thick he thinks 'bitches' is a perfectly acceptable synonym for 'women'. I've missed my chance to see BB this week (Mamma Mia instead!!) How has Darnell gone from being the top choice for house leader to nomination? Have the scales fallen from the housemates eyes? It seems unlikely.What did he do? Who was ejected last week?

Sheila
    by susieangela at 09:44 on 23 July 2008
    Blinablindablinda went last week. And I think it was pretty much a given that Darnell would be next up - he has a kind of hubris, I think, which seems to make him behave really strangely when he least needs it - like ordering Sara to cook him a meal and then refusing to eat it - WHY?!? I actually like him, but he is his own worst enemy. Plus he gets very moody and a bit paranoid at times, so not easy to live with.
    Susiex
    by Cornelia at 10:05 on 23 July 2008
    Yes - arrogant, moody ,paranoid and mysogynist. What's left to like, or is there something I'm missing? Sounds like he was exercising control just for kicks. More fool her for taking he orders, I'd say. Maybe it was when he was the king of the house and had power over the ones he'd excluded?

Sheila
    by Colin-M at 10:57 on 23 July 2008
    Bex is favourite, and after he behaviour when she got a tiny cut on her hand, I'll be glad to see her out. Pain in the arse, and totally controls Luke - mind you, he seems to feed on being controlled.

Who do you reckon will win? I've put my money on Rex. It's good to have someone in the house that doesn't come across as someone straight out of drama school, or desperate for a career in TV. He seems normal, like he really couldn't give a toss about "hilarious" childish antics.

There are a couple of dark horses that don't get any air time - Rachael especially. She's been in from the start and I feel like I've never seen her.
    by susieangela at 11:11 on 23 July 2008
    I think Rex will shoot himself in the foot in the next couple of weeks and will go. He's too 'grumpy old mannish' and can also be cruel. Up until now, it's been relatively easy for the public to vote out housemates - fairly obvious as to who should go. I think we're moving into the middle region, where those who are boring/ irritating will begin to be voted out: Mohamed, Lisa, Rachel? After that, it'll be much harder. Be interesting to see if Bex does go - my instinct says she won't, because she's good entertainment, and because BexnLuke make people laugh.
    Susiex

<Added>

I think it's gonna be a 'hunk' win this year: Dale or Stuart.
    by Jem at 13:31 on 23 July 2008
    I really dislike Dale - but that's because his vocab is rather limited. I actually prefer Darnell. He's more screwed up and interesting. Stuart is nice to look at, so that's okay. Is Bex really favourite? I despair!
    by Colin-M at 13:57 on 23 July 2008
    Oops, didn't make that clear - she's favourite to go on Friday, not to win. I think Kat is favourite to win (God I hope not. She is soooo irritating.)
    by Jem at 14:42 on 23 July 2008
    Oh GOOD!!! Yes, I agree. I liked her initially but now she is too cutesy for words. I'm getting to quite like Rachel though. (Hmmm, what does that make me???)
    by Cornelia at 15:36 on 23 July 2008
    I listened to some radio catch-up featuring Belinda with two presenters and phone-in guests. They were discussing the possibility of Bex getting it on with Luke. 'Oh', said the programme presenter, (male) obviously surprised, 'I assumed he was gay'.

So I'm glad it isn't just me that thinks so.

Also, nobody rushed to put him right, what with him being a distinguished presenter. Jem, you should have been there to explain your northern male speech theory.

Sheila
  • This 128 message thread spans 9 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4  5   6   7   8   9  > >