Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan
    by Cornelia at 19:40 on 21 July 2008
    This is worth seeing just for the wonderful scenery and soundtrack, but it's also a thoroughly enjoyable epic romance and adventure story. At two and a half hours, it's long but long but doesn't seem so. The battle scenes are stunning, with red paint spraying all over the place so you can just imagine all the heads and limbs chopped off at a single stroke without having to see all the bits of bodies flying about. The furry costumes and hairstyles are attractive, too.

Sheila

• Re: Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan
    by Account Closed at 20:47 on 23 July 2008
    I'm longing to see this thanks for the reminder, Sheila... next rainy weekend...

Sarah
  • Re: Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan
    by Cornelia at 22:44 on 23 July 2008
    SB, I must admit I have a weakness for Mongolia. I saw a few films set there last year - you may have seen 'The Weeping Camel'? Some friends have done Silk Road tours and I read a book about an Englishwoman who went to live with a nomadic family. I'm currently enjoying 'Wolf Totem' about a Chinese youth who learns all about the lore and religion of the steppes during the Cultural Revolution years. There's just a hint of the beliefs in the film, as a way of explaining the origin of the hero's mental strength.

However, it's also a very good film. I'd be interested in your impressions.

Sheila