Login   Sign Up 

• The Dark Knight
    by Account Closed at 00:24 on 25 July 2008
    This isn't a review as such, as I don't really have the time for an in-depth, but I went to see this tonight and overall, I thought it was great. Like the last film Batman Begins I found the first quarter a tad slow and a touch muddled. The film seemed to take a little while to find its feet and I echo a couple of other reviews about the 'no nonsense' style. Yes, it works, and works well, but then again, I couldn't help but wish for a pinch more surrealism, perhaps a smattering of Gothica, some minor indulgence for the fantasy of the story, its comic book roots.

Nolan doesn't hide the fact that his Gotham is simply modern day Chicago. This movie has CRIME DRAMA stamped all over it and strays closer to Bond territory than baroque. For me, a fan of the comics, this style didn't feel entirely true to the Batman vision and I must admit I wasn't completely convinced by how some of the more fanciful characters juxtaposed with the stripped down approach.

Apart from that, it remains a brilliant film, engrossing, exciting, intelligent and well acted. It even has soul. Heath Ledger deserves every accolade for his portrayal of the Joker (which in my opinion knocks spots off Nicholson's overly camp performance - now we have a Joker we can fear, not just laugh at) and by the end credits, you know you've experienced some quality entertainment. While things look set to get even darker, I can hardly wait for the third film. It's just a crying shame that Ledger won't be in it.

JB

• Re: The Dark Knight
    by Account Closed at 09:30 on 25 July 2008
    Can't wait - love the darker approach.
    by Account Closed at 12:43 on 25 July 2008
    Don't get me wrong, I do too. For all my minor gripe, Nolan's Batman is still stands a good head and shoulders over any other Batman or superhero movie. There is just a thread of mysticism in the comics that I personally think would suit the style, but then I think we are being shown Gotham in the early days before everything went to hell...?

Enjoy the movie. It rocks.

JB
    by Jem at 16:39 on 25 July 2008
    My 15 yr old son went to see it and really loved it but I don't fancy it personally. I hate action films as a rule. He said it was made even more exciting by the fact that half way through a member of the audience had an epileptic fit and they had to stop the film. Then the manager came on and gave them all a free ticket for another film because they'd all been so understanding. Plus he got a poster of The Joker.
    by Account Closed at 09:50 on 26 July 2008
    The Dark Knight is slightly more than just an action film though Jem. It has smarts. It's strange what you say about your son though, because the film broke twice when I went to see it. I didn't get a poster though, sadly.

JB
    by optimist at 09:55 on 26 July 2008
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

Roll on Wednesday

Sarah
    by Cornelia at 12:12 on 26 July 2008
    Wow! I wonder if it's jinxed. I was intending to see this but thanks for the details and intro.I've acquired a taste for action films provided they have a graded approach tonotching up the mayhem and make a little bit of sense, plus superb special effects and plenty of stuntmen. I'd recommend Mongol in this regard, although there's only a little bit of fantasy. I might even treat myself to Imax in the light of your comments as I noticed it's showing there.

The nice thing about the forum, I think, is it's not a formal review place so it doesn't feel like work.

Sheila
    by Jem at 12:42 on 27 July 2008
    Well, they do say it's as jinxed as The Scottish Play, don't they? I think you're right in that I would like some aspects of it - the characters, probably - but I dunno. Can't be bothered. Maybe I'll wait till the hype dies down. Everyone is saying that Gary Oldman deserves a best Supporting Oscar. I'm wondering if it's one of those male/female divide films. I have the same problem with any Superhero and I've never been able to sit through a Bond film.
    by Cornelia at 13:05 on 27 July 2008
    I think you'd like Spiderman, Jem. There's a really quite charming romantic story and it's worth seeing for the title sequences alone. I take it you won't be seeing The Incredible Hulk? I won't, out of loyalty to Ang Lee, and it hasn't got good crits.

This hot weather's playing havoc with cinema-going.

Sheila