Login   Sign Up 

• No Country for Old Men
    by Kristian at 20:41 on 05 August 2008
    Hi there

Watched this last night - wow! The coens are definitely back on form. Beautifully photographed and paced, I was completely drawn in. The performances are top notch and the writing was, for me, near perfect.

It was littered with great dialogue, one little gem spoken by Jones' world weary sheriff when asked, by his deputy, if a grizzly shoot out is a mess - 'Well if this ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here.'

Anyone else seen it, or read the book on which it is based? I hear it is very faithful to the source material.

Kris
  • Re: No Country for Old Men
    by Steerpike`s sister at 21:53 on 05 August 2008
    I saw it - it's probably my favourite Coen bros. film. They tend to leave me cold - appreciative of their skill but un-moved. But I thought this was excellent.
    Not read this one but MacCarthy is one of my favourite authors, incredible writer.
    by Jem at 22:20 on 05 August 2008
    Loved this too.
    by geoffmorris at 19:59 on 06 August 2008
    The film is pretty much the book transferred directly to the screen, even the dialogue is a spot on match.

MacCarthy is the finest dialogue writer I've ever read and that translates perfectly into the cinema format, I'd love the see The Road on the big screen.
    by Cornelia at 10:07 on 07 August 2008
    Just watched the trailer to remind me. My favourite favourite Coen film is 'Fargo', probably because of the strong female lead played by a very pregnant Frances McDormand, and the Minnesota setting, but men squaring up, particularly when one of them is armed with an iron-slug squirter makes for superb drama. It was in the time-honoured US genre of good guy tracking down clever bad guy but a good script makes a big difference. Clever of them to spot the menace-potential of Xavier Bartem who's more often played the romantic lead in Spanish films. It's those hooded eyes with the whites showing under the pupils that does it, that and the immobile face. Robert Mitchum had it, too. The pudding-basin hair-cut was a master touch.

Sheila
    by Kristian at 19:37 on 07 August 2008
    Yes Bartem was a master stroke of casting, he has such a menace and presence about him that every scene he was in was charged with the potential for violance.
    by Account Closed at 20:39 on 18 August 2008
    I saw this recently - very good. TLJ is a legend, and that pudding basin guy!!!!!

Also, very much the essence of a 'western'.

Yes, yes, Fargo - swoon - one of my all time favourites.
    p