Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Wall E
    by Cornelia at 09:24 on 07 August 2008
    This funny film is more or less wasted on children, and there was plenty of evidence in last night's audience at West India Quay. I feel sorry for people who have to leave when their kids start wailing. My parents took me to the pictures twice a week in pre-TV days almost as soon as I could walk. 'NO BABES IN ARMS' read the stern warning at the box office - nowadays they just wheel in the buggies.

Anyway, the main thing I liked was the vision of future America with its citizens all literally supine, taking orders and relentlessly good-natured. Surprising satirical. The earlier scenes of Wall E, the last garbage disposal robot left when everyone else has long gone, was also great, with little jokes like his cockroach friend (who was it said that they'd be the last survivors?) - again, too subtle for kids. Many contradictions, of course, as Disney tries to pass itself off a champion of none-consumerism but can't resist giving Wall E a video player and a syrupy fantasy soundtrack to go with. The fascination with gadgetry sits ill with a back-to-nature message, and as with all films you believe what you see, not what you're told you're seeing. I think I might go again now my partner's back from Hever Castle.

• Re: Wall E
    by Colin-M at 12:53 on 07 August 2008
    I first heard about this film from my eldest son, who is 10, but can't speak. He's got a severe form of cerebral palsy and communicates with facial expressions. We knew his playscheme had taken him to the pictures, but not what to see. We went through the current films and when we got to WALL.E he near fell out of his chair. We got the same reaction when the ad came on TV, so I knew not only what he'd seen, but that he really enjoyed it. The next day I took his two brothers, 8 and 5 to see it (that's their age, not some weird numerical names!). Both loved it, and have been going on about it ever since. Me - I loved it too, mostly because I couldn't fault it, but mainly because I could see why my eldest son loved it so much - you simply can't take your eyes off the screen - bearing in mind there is no dialogue for the first 40 minutes. The story is told through actions and expressions. Brilliant! And best of all, there isn't the "adult" lull that you get in the likes of Cars, The Incredibles and Toy Story 2, where the main characters have boring, or over-long, conversations or arguments.

WALL.E is superb. I can't fault it in any way. This is the best Pixar film since Toy Story.

Colin M
    by Kristian at 19:45 on 07 August 2008
    I thought Wall E was great too. I took my three year old for his first cinematic experience.

He loves movies but the cinema is a little bit different from our cozy living room, so I figured to avoid being the annoying person with a screaming todler in tow, I'd go midweek in the morning, pre school holidays - just in case.

We shared the big screen with just two others and I needn't have worried, he was transfixed from start to finish. Especially during the amazing, mostly wordless, first forty minutes.
    by ShellyH at 21:47 on 07 August 2008
    Went to see this with my six year old little girl, and we both loved it. She loved the girl robot Eve. I think it's a shame if people miss out on this brilliant film just because they don't have kids. Go and see it for a little bit of magic.
    by Cornelia at 09:39 on 08 August 2008
    Great to hear that kids like this too. The timing may have made a difference when I saw it - with a 6.00pm start the four year olds may have been fractious by 7.30pm. Maybe I'd better choose another venue for evening viewing after last week's fiasco when a woman was sitting in front of me with with three kids under ten to see The Dark Knight - for a screening that finished at 11.10pm.

I think I'm going to see Wall E again today after I recommended it to my husband.

Sheila

by Cornelia at 09:41 on 08 August 2008
    I read in a Sight & Sound review that EVE's sleek appearance was based on the iPod design.
    by CarolineSG at 17:48 on 12 August 2008
    Ooh, I thought Wall-E was just fabulous and had such...heart, for want of a better word. I agree with the Toy Story comparison. My two - nine and five - loved it.
    by optimist at 17:58 on 12 August 2008
    Me and the boys loved it

Like everyone else I thought the first forty minutes were brilliant and the use of that particular song - from Hello Dolly? - was inspired.

And the 2001 soundtrack too...

Yes - borrow a child if necessary - but go anyway?

Sarah
    by Cornelia at 11:29 on 13 August 2008
    I liked it even more the second time I went, this time with my husband and much more comfortably at a West end cinema in the afternoon.

No,no need to borrow a child,Maybe I should have explaind that there was quite a lot of intertextual stuff and references that would really be appreciated by environment- conscious adults that maybe wouldn't be entirely taken on board by the under-fives.

Points like EVE's replacing her arm-gun in an imaginary holster directly references 'Robot-Cop' for instance, and they'd be surely too young to remember the video with the dance-music, another pleasure for musical/Michael Crawford fans, although presumably even some of the adults would be too young to remember it too. I think too of the planet they pass when they leave the all-but-devastated earth by the rocket, with its American flag and the sign 'B&L outlet opening soon'.'Buy and Large' is a great name for the global conglomorate that's made a world full of trash, wordplay that's quite sophisticated because it's literally what's happened. I liked the futuristic vision of the advertising-led fat-encased population all dressed in identical red outfits and changing their clothes immediately when they are told 'Blue is the New Red'.It had a lot of points to make about mindless consumerism which may have been missed by children. I didn't mean to imply children wouldn't enjoy the film's other aspects.

Sheila
    by Nik Perring at 20:55 on 15 August 2008
    I utterly loved it. I even bought a Wall-E and Eve figure - something I've never done before.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant film.

Nik
    by Colin-M at 20:57 on 15 August 2008
    I came very close to buying the dancing Wall.E - you can put your own MP3 in his chest and watch him go.

er... for the kids, like!

Colin M
    by Nik Perring at 20:59 on 15 August 2008
    Ooh heck. I want one.

Mine does a little dance, but the mp3 sounds brilliant. (And I don't even have kids - or an excuse.)
    by Nik Perring at 21:05 on 15 August 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjcXs-EKE2Q

The second one. Brilliant!
    by geoffmorris at 21:37 on 15 August 2008
    Gotta love the irony of environmentalism and unchecked consumerism that run throughout the film matched against the fact that there are umpteen different Wall E toys for you to buy.