Login   Sign Up 

• Crime Writers on ITV3
    by Cornelia at 22:30 on 18 August 2008
    Just stumbled across the first programme in a series on ITV about crime writers, every Monday for six weeks, and if they're all as good as this, definitely worth watching. The first profiled was Ian Rankin.

The formula seems to be: extended interview with the writer in his home intercut with comments by other crime writers, some famous and others not so well known, and extracts from TV adaptations, (commentators thought Ken Stott hit the spot where John Hannah failed) visits to locations featured in the books and general comments on the genre from critics.

Mostly sensible, except they had Jeffery Archer a couple of times. And, being ITV, you can get to phone in a vote for the best one by October 3rd. The winner gets to be 'ITV crime-writer of the year'. Next week it's Val McDermid, subject for my local crime reading group this week (tepid reactions to 'Beneath the Bleeding.' and I think P.D. James, and Colin Dexter are among those to come. Last is Lynda La Plante, whose book is slated for the next discussion in a month's time.

I'm going to Edinburgh in a couple of days. Will I be tempted to go on a Rebus-themed walk? No, but I'll be really upset if I can't watched ITV at the rented digs.

Here's the deatails:

http://www.itv.com/PressCentre/Presspacks/ITV3CrimeThrillerAwardsCrimeThrillerSeason/default.html

Blimey, I didn't think there was to be an awards ceremony.

Sheila