Login   Sign Up 

• Some Trace of Her...
    by Account Closed at 14:37 on 31 August 2008
    Saw this at the Cottlesloe/NT on Friday and have to say I was bowled over. The production is based on Dostoevsky's The Idiot and though it focuses on emotions and dramatic tension than a chronoological narrative, it is so original and exciting.

Technically brilliant, it links a big screen, on which the play is acted out in black and white looking like beautiful moving, shimmering daguerratypes of the era, with the actors not in those scenes who are moving around the stage, setting and filming all those scenes live. You have to work, and you have to think, but you become part of the whole 'experience' and I loved it so much I'm hoping to go back and see it again.
  • Re: Some Trace of Her...
    by Jem at 15:38 on 31 August 2008
    Saw this reviewed some weeks ago on BBC2's Late Night Review or whatever it's called and they were all impressed. Particularly as every performance on the screen is different from the previous night's.
  • Re: Some Trace of Her...
    by Account Closed at 17:01 on 31 August 2008
    Some people hated it - The Daily Mail said it should vanish 'without a trace' but I loved actually having to think.

Oh, just looked up that programme Jem and watched it online. I agree with everything they said!

What was incredible was seeing the actors standing on stage surrounded by props and general stage set activity which would normally be invisible, and then seeing the most exquisite simultaneous images coming up on the big screen. So you had the interchange between reality and 'art' - literature and dramatic intervention, editing etc. Very exciting. Really stunning visually and where, on the actors you could hardly see expression, on screen the nuances of facial movement, eyes etc were so much more obvious and 'real'.