Login   Sign Up 

• Third i Crime Writer Series
    by Cornelia at 09:42 on 02 September 2008
    I mentioned this excellent series before. It just gets better. Now we are as far as the third writer - Colin Dexter- the link between crime writing, adaptation for TV and success emerges as a strong theme. Last week Val Mc Dermid said she now thinks of Robson Green as Tony Hill when she's writing. Colin Dexter revealed he was persuaded to change the ages of his characters,making Lewis younger than Morse to emphasise the master-apprentice aspect of their relationship. The shots of Dexter's own Hitchcock-like cameo appearances in the follow-up series broadened the media links.

Colin Dexter was fascinating, descibing the journey-like pleasure he takes in working towards a conclusion and then going back to make it all hang together. In fact, the authors' comments on the writing process is one of the best parts for me, more so than the extracts, alhough last night's were particularly well-chosen. 'Do you want a handkerchief?' asked my partner as I sniffed at Lewis and Morse in front of an Oxford sunset in 'The Remorseful Day'. I noticed, too, an increased prominence given to the voice of the programme-makers.

I can see now why they've left Lynda La Plante 'til last. I'd only known her work from TV, starting with 'Widows' and on through 'The Governor' and 'Prime Suspect'until my crime-reading group chose 'Cold Shoulder' for September's discussion. With P D James and Ruth Rendell still to go before that, my Monday nights are ear-marked for the next three weeks.

Sheila

• Re: Third i Crime Writer Series
    by Jem at 15:53 on 02 September 2008
    PD James was on Woman's Hour this morning If you didn't catch it you might want to Listen Again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/01/2008_36_tue.shtml
  • Re: Third i Crime Writer Series
    by Cornelia at 19:01 on 02 September 2008
    Thanks, Jem. Yes, I did listen to it, mostly, but would like to hear it again. I read a biography extract - in one of the Sunday papers, I think. It went into more detail about how the war affected her husband.

Sheila