Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Jodi Picoult
    by CarolineSG at 14:36 on 28 September 2008
    What do people think about this hugely successful and prolific writer?

I've read a couple - one I hated (Sister's Keeper) and one I quite liked (The Pact)but bought another recently called Second Glance, not sure why, and it was such a load of old bollocks I abandoned it after three chapters.

I can see that she is very skilled in some ways, but I don;t know...I always feel like I've had the literary equivalent of Cheese Strings or something when I read something of hers.
    Discuss?
  • Re: Jodi Picoult
    by Account Closed at 22:18 on 28 September 2008
    Not a lot, really. I liked Sister's keeper when i read it a few years ago, but doubt I would now. And, yes, parts of the Pact were good. But, a lot of the time, I find her characters overblown and unbelievable, especially the teenagers.

(i think i would probably agree about the cheese strings, but am not sure what they are!!)
    p
    by EmmaD at 22:36 on 28 September 2008
    Never read any Picoult, but just wanted to say that this

the literary equivalent of Cheese Strings or something

is the most brilliant evocation of a feeling I know very well. Something crudely tasty, with no real subtlety or substance to it, so it appeals when you're in a certain mood, but you end up rather wishing you hadn't bothered.

Emma
    by NMott at 00:00 on 29 September 2008
    Good one, Caroline & Emma.

I will now use "cheese strings" as the literary equivalent of "five bog rolls", which for some reason was our rating system for movies, etc, when I was in college.

NaomiM
    by CarolineSG at 10:24 on 29 September 2008
    I have to confess I've never eaten a Cheese String, but they're a kind of highly processed cheese, which you pull apart into long strands. They are the work of the devil, nurtritionally. I'm probably doing Ms Picoult a terrible disservice here!

by Jem at 16:33 on 30 September 2008
    I read one about the sister who had some some illness the other sister had to donate something of hers to make her better or something. I thought it was okay but definitely cheesestringy. I won't be reading any more.

<Added>

Reading Kate Atkinson's 'When Will There Be Good News?" which is the cheese equivalent of Brie de Meaux by comparison. Yummy!
    by CarolineSG at 16:46 on 30 September 2008
    Hey Jem, me too! But then, that's not really surprising

I'm enjoying the KA book enormously. It's an absolute masterclass in characterisation. I'm trying to remember something now from the reviews, which was critical...was it about her use of coincidences?

I love the characters in this book. The opening sequence has stayed with me though - and not in a good way. Chilling stuff...
    by Jem at 17:08 on 30 September 2008
    Yes, it was about coincidence. I like that though. I love the characters too - especially Reggie. And the dog. And the baby. And Louise and the Doctor and .... Oh, I could go on. Chilling opening I agree. I just love her humour. I don't want to finish the book but I know I'm going to have to and then I'll be bereft. *sigh* What shall I read then?
    by CarolineSG at 12:03 on 01 October 2008
    Yes, I'm hating the thought of finishing it too!
    by helen black at 12:31 on 01 October 2008
    I've read them all.
    I got Sister's Keeper out of the library and was very taken with it. I them took out loads more and they are all very enjoyable but quite...samey.
    I suspect that her enormous global success has meant she has chucked out far too many too quickly and is sticking to her winning formula.
    That said if you go on her website and listen to the PODcasts - she reallt does think she's the dog's golden bollocks.
    'I like to read the sort of books that still have you thinking days later...so inevitably they're the books I like to write.'
    God love America.
    HB x
    That said, whenever I've tussled with my editors over titles, covers etc, they've often said 'Think Jodi Picoult' and I'm cheesestring in their hands.
    by CarolineSG at 12:34 on 01 October 2008
    I'm cheesestring in their hands.

LOL! I heard her interviewed on Bookclub on Radio 4 and she did sound like someone with amazing energy. She does seem to be incredibly prolific.
    by Jem at 08:55 on 02 October 2008
    Boo- Hoo! Finished the Atkinson. Sobbed. Not least because I wonder why I bother trying to write having read that.
    by CarolineSG at 09:27 on 02 October 2008
    I'm glad you've told me that though, because I want to discuss something and didn't know how far into it you'd got! Will wwmail you.