Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Sunshine
    by Jem at 17:51 on 15 October 2008
    Billed as a 'bittersweet comedy drama' this is Steve Coogan's latest venture. He plays 'Bing' Crosby, a compulsive gambler, with a lovely wife and little boy - the 'Sunshine' of the drama, from whose POV the tale unfolds. Bernard Hill plays the granddad, a teller of tall tales, beautifully.

The drama's written by Craig Cash - who also appears in it - and if you liked The Royle Family and Early Doors, you'll be transported right back to that part of the world with that lovely wit that Cash and Caroline Aherne were known for. I must admit it had me filling up last night. Many of those salt-of-the-earth Northern actors appear in it and there's also a cameo by Caroline Aherne - first time I've seen her in years so let's hope she's off the sauce and back on the up.

I love this type of drama. Very beautifully observed, slightly old-fashioned, laugh out loud yet tear jerkingly sad in parts. It's directed (by Cash) with beautiful scenery - Northern streets and a canal - somewhere near Manchester, I guess, could even be Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley way.

I'm sure it'll be on again. The last episode is next Monday, tucked away at 9 on BBC2 up against Jamie Oliver on 4 but you might be able to catch 1 on IPlayer till tomorrow at least. I'm sure it will be repeated again. Coogan is such a brilliant actor.

<Added>

Am I really the only discerning TV viewer here? To qoute The Divine Delia: 'Let's Be 'Avin' You!'