Login   Sign Up 

• The Road Home - Rose Tremain
    by CarolineSG at 14:52 on 21 October 2008
    Anyone read this Orange prize winner?
    I have just finished it and feel a bit bereft. I loved this book.

<Added>

I think we're going to have to start giving each other updates on what we're reading, Jem! We seem to have such similar tastes.

But quiet, this C&E forum, innit? I had quite high hopes for lots of book chat here.
    Think I just saw some tumbleweed....
  • Re: The Road Home - Rose Tremain
    by Jem at 17:26 on 21 October 2008
    Oh, Caroline. So did I!!!
    by CarolineSG at 10:58 on 22 October 2008
    I meant to post my 'ps' as a reply then - not sure what happened!
    by Jem at 14:55 on 22 October 2008
    Well, I'm reading "The Point of Rescue" at the moment and love it! Have you read this one? Sophie Hannah's written two more crime novels, before this so am going to have to read those too.
    by scotgal at 15:32 on 22 October 2008
    I loved The Road Home! I also read Sacred Country earlier this year, which was also good.
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:20 on 22 October 2008
    I've just started Brendan Behan's Borstal Boy and am loving the mix of extreme political drama (well, truth) and mordant wit. I have just finished my first ever chick lit, Marian Keyes' Rachel's Holiday, which surprised me with subject matter and a general bleakness of tone- not sure how satisfying it felt, but... and in terms of wider culture, just saw an amazing dance piece by a young company called Lost Dog- a show all about people's experiences of recent terrorist events, done through a mix of contact dance, dialogue and some beautifully choreographed ensemble pieces.
    by Jem at 17:03 on 22 October 2008
    Rachel's Holiday is brilliant. I read her latest "This Charming Man" over the holidays. It is excellent. Laugh out loud hilarious but also very dark, dealing as it does with alcoholism and violence against women. The scenes with the cross=dressers are brilliant and I love her easy style.
    by CarolineSG at 11:40 on 23 October 2008
    I've read all the Sophie Hannah thrillers and liked the latest one best. I do slightly have that feeling of having gobbled something down too quickly with her stuff though. I get so gripped that I almost never feel satisfied with the endings, but I think that really is just supreme pickiness on my part. Have only read Rachel's Holiday by MK...liked it, but think I got a bit bored halfway through.
    by Jem at 22:22 on 23 October 2008
    I never feel happy with the end of a thriller. I want to get there quick and when I do I feel disappointed. But the Sophie Hannah lasted me through my day in bed and it's been a long time since I spent all day reading. In fact the last time was when I'd been food poisoned in Portugal and read about four novels in seven days. There is an up side to a sick bed!
    by CarolineSG at 11:56 on 24 October 2008
    Ah, there speaks a parent with older children!

I know what you mean about thrillers, but don;t often feel that with Barbara Vine novels. She somehow manages to make those completely satisfying, I find, although I'm not such a fan when she writes as Ruth Rendell.
    Oh and I have a soft spot for Nikki French thrillers too.
    by Jem at 12:49 on 24 October 2008
    Yes, I love Barbara Vine and Ruth Rendell when she's not doing the Detective. "A Judgement in Stone" is still my favourite of hers. I love the motive for the murder (don't want to spoil the plot!) It was made into a pretty good French film. The French love our Ruth and are always making her novels into films.
    by Account Closed at 13:13 on 28 October 2008
    I love anything Rose Tremain writes. I think Music and Silence and The Colour are two of my favourites.

Sarah