Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The Wire
    by Account Closed at 13:18 on 28 October 2008
    Just finished watching dvd of series one. Loved it - really got into the characters and the wide scope and intrigues of what, on the surface, is such a tightly dramatised drama based on the drug trade. It was kept within a limited environment, but I loved the way it was like a 'war' with contesting armies, with tragedy, right and wrong on both sides, and the way the corruption will never end, can't be escaped and permeates every level of society. Grim watching but addictive.

Sarah
  • Re: The Wire
    by CarolineSG at 20:03 on 28 October 2008
    After your clearing of Tumbleweed, Sarah, I feel it's the least I can do to find some threads of yours and comment!

I watched the Wire wanting to love it, and didn;t like the first one, but have ordered it again because I am now bleedin' determined to like it. It seems to fit with the tastes of friendse I always agree with, so I will like it if I have to force myself now!
    by Jem at 20:30 on 28 October 2008
    My son loves this - for some reason I haven't seen it yet though we've got the series. I too feel I should like it but am somehow resistent.
    On the plus side, I got series 1 of MadMen for my birthday, watched Part One and ADORED it. So clever and toe curling- the way the women are treated. But they are ballsy enough to fight back! Honestly, the 50's were like another century (oh, duh! but you know what I mean.) And I don't really think I've ever seen this portrayed so well before in a modern drama about that period. They usually try to immply that relationships were somehow equal. Hah!
    by Account Closed at 22:25 on 28 October 2008
    Thanks for reminding me of Madmen, Jem - I am putting together a list of dvd series to buy for Christmas. That's one of them.

S
    by CarolineSG at 21:10 on 29 October 2008
    Oh Madmen was just sooooo fab. I can't wait for series two.
    Another cracking and relatively under-publicised one was Damages, with Glen Close. Brilliant drama.
    by Bazz at 21:19 on 02 November 2008
    I've just finished watching the last series of The Wire, it's been an incredible run, probably one of the best series I've ever seen. Shame it had to end, but I think it stops at the right point.
    by Account Closed at 07:50 on 04 November 2008
    Bazz- how many series are there? I might get series 2 on dvd for a marathon at christmas, that is, if it's out.
    Sarah