Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Francis Bacon Exhib at Tate
    by Account Closed at 13:22 on 28 October 2008
    Saw this on Friday too - after that, and then Oedipus, a surfeit of blood and desperation.

But where Bacon sees man as an animal in a grim environment of lust and instinct which no-one can control, Oedipus's lusts are totally manipulated and controlled by Apollo. For me Bacon worked and Oedipus didn't. Wonder if it's because we don't, as a society believe that their are gods/God controlling our every action. Or are we all, as my husband keeps saying, just going to hell in a handcart?
  • Re: Francis Bacon Exhib at Tate
    by Jem at 19:58 on 28 October 2008
    Looking forward to this exhibition. Have booked to see this and the Rothko with a boat trip in the middle afterwards, in early December.
    by Account Closed at 22:28 on 28 October 2008
    Wrap up warm for the boat trip - and if you're feeling extravagant, I recommend lunch at Tate Britain in the lovely restaurant with all the murals on the walls. We ate their Friday - fantastic fish stew and good, quick service.

You're in for a jolly viewing time! But I must say, I was blown away (unexpectedly) by some of the Bacon paintings, and a great collation of all his reference material. The pope's are very good!

Sarahx
    by Jem at 22:56 on 28 October 2008
    My daughter's in charge of the restaurant booking. It's this one:
    http://www.indielondon.co.uk/food/mon_plaisir_monmouthst.html

<Added>

But thanks for the recommendation!
    by Account Closed at 23:33 on 28 October 2008
    That sounds so familiar - sure I've been there - Hope it's good. Let me know. I feel hungry now...

sx