Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• I`m really looking forward to this film...
    by Account Closed at 21:35 on 19 May 2009
    The new Sherlock Holmes - great trailer - a real hoot and with Robert Downey JR, what's not to like...

http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2009/05/sherlock_holmes_trailer_online.html

I was all set to go and see it this weekend - a little premature as it's not out until Christmas. Damn. I was all excited!

Sarahx
  • Re: I`m really looking forward to this film...
    by Account Closed at 22:41 on 19 May 2009
    The purists are already upset just by the trailer. The problem is that while you can 'update' a much beloved character, you can't really change that character into someone else entirely (in this case a Victorian James Bond) and expect people in the know to be happy. From the trailer, I don't see Sherlock at all. I see an extremely liberal take on the novels that will probably be amusing and watchable enough, but one can't help but wonder if a proper Sherlock Holmes film, complete with clever wit and spooky atmosphere - a la Baskervilles - might have worked better.

JB
    by Account Closed at 22:47 on 19 May 2009
    This looks more like Steam Punk to me (if that's the right term?) but it looks like fun and I'm all for a bit of fun in these dark depressing days of writing - and with Mad Men being over!

Sarah
    by Account Closed at 10:18 on 20 May 2009
    It probably is a bit steampunk, though without all the focus on machinery. More gothic? I do note Ritchie has gone back to the original source material, and I'll reserve my real opinion until I see it - but it's still not really Sherlock Holmes is it? Sherlock does Indiana?

JB
    by Jem at 08:56 on 22 May 2009
    The real SH was a prick, I always thought. Arrogant bastard with no redeeming features whatsoever. Hate him!
    by Account Closed at 12:51 on 22 May 2009
    But he's not real Jem. Yes, Holmes is arrogant, but no one can doubt his genius. Why, just the other day Lady Roxsborough was saying in the drawing room...

JB

by Jem at 16:52 on 22 May 2009
    I love Jeremy Brett in this role. He was a great actor, who, I think, committed suicide. He was a manic/depressive I think and he really brought that manic side out in Holmes, with his opium pipe.

Anyway, I found this on You Tube which I thought was a lovely tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGjgE7CtGPI
    by Account Closed at 20:45 on 22 May 2009
    He was great - so sardonic and menacing but fragile too. I think he would have made a wonderful Dracula.
    by MF at 19:54 on 27 May 2009
    Jeremy Brett didn't commit suicide - he died of heart failure. The meds he was taking for his manic depression caused a massive amount of stress on his internal organs, water retention, etc (hence his bloated appearance in the later episodes).

I think Holmes has a number of redeeming features, actually. Have no interest in seeing the film, though - I'm one of the "purists"! (Read: a card-carrying member of the Bootmakers' Society and the Holmes Society from the age of 12!)
    by SarahT at 09:28 on 19 July 2009
    Hah hah, this thread made me chuckle. I saw the trailer the other day and I must say my jaw dropped a little and the whole cinema was going 'no way' but laughing at the punchlines nevertheless. It's quite clearly Sherlock Holmes but not as we know him. Purists will cringe but, on the other hand, it looked humerous and daft enough to be good entertainment. Have yet to get my husband's view - he's the real Sherlock Holmes fan around here...!

S

Btw, agree that Jeremy Brett is the Sherlock Holmes. I don't think any of the Johnny come lately whippersnappers have nailed it better.