Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Synechdoche
    by Jem at 11:17 on 30 May 2009
    Has anyone seen this this Charlie Kaufmann film? Intriguing though I'm not sure how much of it I understood. Apparently something I shared with the actors! I did like it though. He wrote "Eternal SUnshine of the SPotless Mind" and "Adaptation".
  • Re: Synechdoche
    by Account Closed at 12:21 on 30 May 2009
    Really looking forward to this. I loved the other two you mention. Very bizarre and intriguing. There's also The Science of Sleep, written and directed by Michael Gondry who collaborated on Eternal Sunshine and which holds a lot of the same visual, off-the-wall flavour. Also highly recommended for those who want something a little different.

JB
    by CarolineSG at 13:35 on 30 May 2009
    I liked the other two...especially ESOTSM. He's a very interesting guy...
    by Jem at 13:37 on 30 May 2009
    Well it's certainly, that, waxy! I'll be interested to hear your take on it. Some brilliant acting - I adore Samantha Morton in particular as well as Seymour Hoffman, but everyone, everyone was brilliant! I think it's a story about everyone being important yet no one being important. Does that sound terribly pretentious? yes, it does, doesn't it.
    by geoffmorris at 08:00 on 01 June 2009
    For the first 30-40 minutes of this film I had the feeling of WTF? it really seemed to be going nowhere seeming like an overly pretentious art house movie but it's definitely worth sticking with as it slowly unravels into nothing short of a masterpiece, which I guess is what the title really alludes to.

Philip Seymour Hoffman does a great job here as do the rest of the outstanding cast but for me it's Dianne Weist who gives a standout performance.
    by EmmaD at 09:10 on 01 June 2009
    Yes, I want to see this - he also wrote Being John Malkovich, I think.

Emma
    by Jem at 10:00 on 01 June 2009
    Oh, yes - Geoof - isn't she one beautiful woman? This is what I would aspire to look as I age - not botoxed to buggery and looking just like everyone else. She has such a powerful stillness about her, doesn't she.

<Added>

Sorry, Geoff, I am having problems with spelling your name at the moment!