Login   Sign Up 

• ER - last ever!!
    by Jem at 22:45 on 30 May 2009
    Oh! Sob!!! So many old characters passing through! How can I bear it!! Anyone else watching?

Britain's Got Talent?? Pah!!!!
  • Re: ER - last ever!!
    by NMott at 23:14 on 30 May 2009
    Britain's Got Talent Final was excellent. Great family entertainment and well deserved winner - we voted for them.
    by Jem at 23:20 on 30 May 2009
    Blah!
    by SarahT at 21:05 on 31 May 2009
    I thought that the last ER was a relatively restrained piece, in terms of the long-time characters. They incorporated, probably deliberately, quite a few of the cliche medical situations to jack up the emotions, pregnancy emergency, death of a life time partner, Aids diagnosis, but the storyline for the regulars, new and old, was like a gathering of friends, which is just what it was supposed to be.

As such, there was a great sense that they would go on meeting after the series had died and that storylines would continue, so it didn't feel final. There was no end of series lesson learnt, no tragic or triumphant denouement, other than Carter opening the Centre which he had been planning over however many series anyway, so it didn't feel new or surprising. I thought that the only touch that really betrayed it was the end of the show was Mark Green's daughter turning up as a medical student.

Then, when it was all over, I realised how much I was going to miss it and when I was struck with insomnia in the middle of the night, ended up watching the 'Previously on ER' programme which felt woefully lame.
    by Jem at 10:04 on 01 June 2009
    I must admit I got a tear in my eye when, at the end, Tony Gates turned to Mark Green's daughter and said, "Coming, Dr Green?" Sniff, sniff.

I liked the end because as you say, there was that sense of continuity - it wasn't final like Friends.
    by CarolineSG at 10:34 on 01 June 2009
    I used to be such a huge fan of ER but currently have the entire last series, waiting to be viewed. I started to feel they were a bit manipulative with the sad storylines, if that makes sense. And the soapy aspect, about the characters lives, hasn;t seemed so good in recent years. But I do love all the old crowd, so I guess I'll watch it eventually!
    by NMott at 11:06 on 01 June 2009
    I stopped watching ER after wotser-name got shot while heavily pregnant, and I decided enough was enough. It really ended for me with the death of Dr Green and Carter getting rescued in Africa.

I still remember the classic episode directed by Tarantino, with the sunglasses.

- NaomiM

<Added>

And I'll always remember Clooney never catching anyone's eye while speaking, because he was reading his lines off the board.
    by Jem at 11:19 on 01 June 2009
    This last season has been better than the previous couple, but I hated that woman who married Carter - what is her name now? I always felt like giving her a slap. I loved Dr Green.
    by CarolineSG at 11:24 on 01 June 2009
    I loved Dr Green too, and Carter and Carrie Weaver and Romano and.... sigh.....
    by SerenWade at 22:17 on 01 June 2009
    Think she was called Kem - though not sure how you spell that!

I loved this last series it was great seeing some of the old characters again especially Carter and Benton.

The last ever episode was very restrained but I think that was probably the right way to go .... I shall miss ER, very much.