Login   Sign Up 

• Doubt
    by Account Closed at 11:42 on 15 June 2009
    Hi

Has anyone seen this film? I watched it last night and thought it was superb. Streep is a powerhouse, delivering one of her greatest performances as a Catholic nun who comes to believe there is something unhealthy going on in the New York Catholic school where she is the principal. The unhealthiness concerns the relationship between the head priest (Philip Seymour Hoffman, also on excellent form) and a pupil, and as doubts and suspicions brim over, the film presents an absoloutely riveting experience. Highly recommended.

I also watched Revolutionary Road, which while well acted and engaging enough, I just found utterly depressing.

JB

• Re: Doubt
    by Jem at 13:16 on 21 June 2009
    I'd love to see this. It didn't come to our locals Picturehouse and so I missed it so I guess one day I'll have to get the DVD. I didn't see RR because of exactly what you said about it being depressing.

Have you got round to seeing Synedoche yet?

And "Looking for Eric"? Quite the best film I've seen in a while.
    by Account Closed at 11:51 on 25 June 2009
    Thanks for the recommendation. I've not seen Synedoche yet but will probably catch it on DVD. RR was a good film in it's execution and acting, but there was just no real hope in it, and it left me feeling drained and depressed. Which I think was it's intention. I just couldn't decide if it really worked as a cautionary tale because the characters seemed so wilfully enslaved by their despair.

JB
    by Account Closed at 21:08 on 25 June 2009
    I read about half of RR while stuck inhospital recently. Twas indeed rather depressing, but good. I was drawn in. Then, when got home never finished it.