Login   Sign Up 

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • True Blood...
    by Account Closed at 19:22 on 29 July 2009
    One of my sisters recommended this and, though I didn't like the first episode I saw, I'm now hooked. It's really nasty - this aint Twilight. There's lots of blood and violence and sex, but with a wry sense of humour and a great backing track. All set in the deep south.

Not one for the children to watch!
  • Re: True Blood...
    by NMott at 20:30 on 29 July 2009
    Hubby loves it. I haven't had time to sit down and watch it yet.
    by Vixen at 22:54 on 17 October 2009
    I love the books - one of the few series I preorder in hard back. The books are very different. Sookie is considerably more clever, and a lot funnier, in the books. She is not at all naive. I found her televised character irritating because I kept comparing book and series. I watched series one on cable and thought it was fun.
    by Longhand at 23:06 on 17 October 2009
    I'm staying well away. Evenings are my only writing time at the moment and if I start watching this I fear I won't get any done.

(Now, if I could just be as disciplined about procrastinating online as well...)
    by SarahT at 08:49 on 18 October 2009
    Sookie is considerably more clever, and a lot funnier, in the books.

Hmmm... Strong female character is dumbed down for television. Now why does that sound familiar... I must admit that the Sookie TV character is one reason why I would switch off from the TV show if it wasn't for all of the other distractions. I think that the Tara, Sam and even Jason Stackhouse storylines are much more enjoyable than the bits where Sookie and Bill go all Twilightish. Maybe I should switch to the books instead.

S
    by Account Closed at 15:24 on 19 October 2009
    Most editors loathe vampire stories. And here we are in the midst of a vampire revival. Vampires are everywhere at the moment!

I've not watched this yet but intend to. It looks interesting. It does grate slightly that my vampire novella was accepted for publication two years ago - Interzone rejected it on the grounds of it being a vamp tale - and it has yet to see the light of day, no pun intended. Now I'm going to look like a copyist!

But I think True Blood is repeated on Channel 4?

JB

by Account Closed at 17:57 on 19 October 2009
    Yes, JB, it's repeated now. But I would just stream it online...once you get into it, you just keep watching. Very trashy and corny but also very entertaining. Only for the adults.
    by optimist at 18:50 on 13 December 2009
    I rather love it - very clever. Being me I came in at episode 9 - have watched 1 and 2 on DVD.

Wish we had Flash working The computer has decided against it - we have no idea why. One day we had it and the next we didn't.

Sookie doesn't come across as 'dumb' to me but I haven't read the books. Tara definitely isn't - love Tara! She's a great character. I think the acting and the scripts are fab.

Sarah

by Account Closed at 19:05 on 13 December 2009
    Tara is the best. It's an unusual series, I think that's why I'm also hooked.
    by essaywriting at 08:14 on 14 December 2009
    ya its really true blood.... how they are taking this sort films some people like this sort of movies and some one really scared any way there is a fun watching this sort of movies thanks
    by jenzarina at 14:34 on 15 December 2009
    Sarah, you can download a new version of Flash for free
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Yes, I'm totally hooked too since a friend gave me the first series on DVD. Twilight for grown-ups! I love the Louisiana setting, that's where Interview With The Vampire is set too, must be popular with vampires.
    Season 2 should be out on DVD in the US in spring 2010. There go my evenings...
    by TykeintheNorth at 11:55 on 28 December 2009
    Sounds fascinating, must see if I can catch it.
    by Account Closed at 01:15 on 27 March 2010
    Season 2 is hot! I've really got into this series now and it just goes to show that when it's done right, even the oldest of ideas can still seem fresh.

JB
    by Account Closed at 10:52 on 27 March 2010
    Isn't it! I'm loving this so much. Two friends have been telling me that the books are even better. I think I'm going to get them...seems that Eric really comes into his own in the books, and he will be far more involved in the tv plotlines soon. Can't wait!!!
    by Account Closed at 12:50 on 27 March 2010
    There are quite a few books, aren't there? I hear they're ace too but I don't think I've got time to read them, so I'm happy to take my doses via screen. I was surprised though, because I didn't expect True Blood to be half as good as it is. Now I find myself ordering the whole of Series 1 on DVD (I missed most of it) and eagerly waiting for the next episode on FX. It knocks the Vampire Diaries into a cocked hat. Watched the 1st two episodes of that and couldn't get into it all all. It's so done. TB offers something new.

JB
  • This 22 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >