Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 27 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re:
    by Jem at 12:43 on 09 November 2009
    I liked the idea they didn't dwell on the seedy side of the "boyfriend". I felt we were seeing things through her eyes and she was in the dark about a lot of is doings. I do believe the actual memoir is much darker but I liked this film because it took a direction and stuck to it. It really struck a cord with me because the Lynne Barber is my sort of age and I really identified with her aspirations - not so much Oxford, but definitely getting away and having a room of one's own - I thought the scene between her and the English teacher at her flat was one of the best. Oh, and having an older boyfriend. I wouldn't have fancied him over Dominic Cooper, though!
  • Re:
    by MF at 13:23 on 09 November 2009
    Yes, that was quite a good scene with the English teacher (though it seemed a bit of a shame that said teacher had to fall into the downtrodden, dowdy spinster role for much of the film - again, a slightly underdeveloped character?)

I know what you mean about things being seen through Jeeny's eyes, which means we're kept as much in the dark as she is until the very end. Still, I was left wondering what happened to the boyfriend, whose character ultimately felt somehow slightly incomplete to me (unless we're simply to conclude that he was a little shit, end of - which I suppose is possible!). It's a bit like the quandary you get when a writer chooses to write in the first person: while the MC's voice may be very clear and compelling, there's a risk that supporting characters will never truly come into their own...(?)

<Added>

Jeeny's - Jenny's!
  • Re:
    by Jem at 13:51 on 09 November 2009
    Again, I saw him as someone whom it was impossible to pin down and that, probably, was part of his attraction for Jenny.
  • Re:
    by cherys at 09:55 on 10 November 2009
    Bright Star is one of the most vivid films, visually, that I've ever seen. I woke up with it still playing in my head. Stunning. It was absolutely brilliant at conveying the unsaid - those cuts to the little sister on the sofa or walking on the heath, observing the lovers, who seemed to be thinking, "Why do grown ups do this to themselves? Will I have to writhe round in agony soon?' And the stressed single mum wish-I-didn't-have-to-make-every-decision-unaided look on the mother's face when Fanny pesters her on the stairs to be allowed to be engaged. Or when she said she'd do anything for him the night before he leaves for Italy and he looks like he's thinking 'You might but I can't. I haven't the energy.'

And Brown was superb. the sparring between him and Fanny... All the jealousies. Fabulous. Ben Whishaw was brilliant - what else has he done?
  • Re:
    by Jem at 12:27 on 10 November 2009
    Glad you liked, Cherys. I still maintain that Abbie Cornish was the star, though. It stayed on my mind for days too and I think I might have to see it again. Didn't you just love him reading "Ode To A Nightingale" at the credits. There were three girls in the row in front of me chattering all the way through - I could have killed them! I think he should put it on the Poetry Archive. I don't know what else he's been in but he was on The Culture Show last week, and he's so cute.
  • Re:
    by cherys at 18:21 on 10 November 2009
    yes he read it beautifully. We had people behind us chattering. I couldn't see how they weren't mesmerised by that voice.
  • Re:
    by Account Closed at 19:57 on 16 November 2009
    Ben Wishaw starred in last year's Criminal Justice series on BBC. He's in the new Brideshead REvisited film and I also saw him live last year at the NT in 'Some Trace of her' which was one of the most striking pieces of theatre I've seen in years. Mesmerising.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/reviews/some-trace-of-her-national-theatre-cottesloe-london-882535.html

I can't wait to see Bright Star. Wish I had a husband who actually enjoyed going to the cinema - wish we had a cinema in Windsor!

Sarah

• Re:
    by Jem at 23:14 on 16 November 2009
    Why do you need a husband to go to the cinema?
  • Re:
    by cherys at 09:58 on 17 November 2009
    Windsor has no cinema?
  • Re:
    by Account Closed at 10:05 on 17 November 2009
    I know, Jem - I'm pathetic - I think I have to get a grip on life! Actually, the Slough cinema is nice but you're surrounded by menacing teenagers if you go during the day and at night you have to walk through acres of lonely streets, or inside an empty, covered shopping precinct, so not best condusive to relaxation.

The other is in Maidenhead - not so bad during the day, but being stag night mecca, not good at night on your own.

The Windsor art centre does put a film on now and then, but it's not exactly like the big cinema experience.

• Re:
    by Skippoo at 18:56 on 26 December 2009
    Finally got around to seeing Bright Star and thought it was stunning. My boyfriend was dragged to the cinema reluctantly, but was fighting back tears midway through and now wants to be Ben Whishaw!

Cath
  • Re:
    by TykeintheNorth at 12:54 on 27 December 2009
    Sounds fantastic, will try to catch them both at some point.
  • This 27 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >