Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • School of Saatchi
    by NMott at 14:28 on 25 November 2009
    Monday 9pm, BBC2

Missed the first episode, but looking forward to watching the rest of the series: maybe because I'm already hooked on Project Runway and hoping for more of the same (although I suspect that since School of Saatchi is a bunch of art students - rather than Project Runway's talented designers - it's going to be the 'poor man's' version), or maybe because some of the comments in the article, below, struck a writing chord with me.

Here's the Telegraph's review of the first episode:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/6649663/Art-Even-Tracey-Emin-said-it-was-rubbish.html

And the episode off BBC's iplayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p4gq5/School_of_Saatchi_Episode_1/

- NaomiM

<Added>

Just watching it on iplayer and one of the judges saying they are looking for an 'original voice' certainly carries through to writing. Old plots may be reworked, but if it's in an original voice, and it's done well, it's going to get people's attention.

<Added>

And Tracey Emin's comments about being honest with the artist if she's seen something similar ('heavily influenced by Francis Bacon'; it's been done before; and maybe the artist doesn't realise it's been done before, are worth noting.
  • Re: School of Saatchi
    by susieangela at 15:12 on 25 November 2009
    Ooh, thanks for posting this Naomi - I missed it.
    Susiex
    by Jem at 16:07 on 25 November 2009
    Naomi, missed this too, but glad you mentioned Project Runway. It's my most favourite thing on TV at the moment. Unfortunately going to miss it tonight! Boo-hoo! Do you know if there's a repeat show?
    by NMott at 17:23 on 25 November 2009
    Project Runway series 6 is repeated 2pm on Sunday, or you can watch earlier episodes on SkyPlayer:
    http://sky1.sky.com/project-runway-season-6-ep-1-all-star-challenge
    (I'm currently on season 5 which is playing weekdays at 1pm).

Have to say, after watching School of Saatchi, my estimation of Tracey Emin has risen immensely. Her work may be crap but she doesn't talk crap.
    by Jem at 17:35 on 25 November 2009
    She's a rubbish writer though.
    by NMott at 17:41 on 25 November 2009
    by helen black at 21:30 on 25 November 2009
    I'm a big fan of Emin anyway - the first time I saw her work I had never heard of her or her reputation but the exhibits took my breath away. Their impact was physical iykwim, visceral. I remember thinking that whoever this person was I had conected with them on some level. Bizarre.

Anyhow - what is interesting is how similar this is to writing no? I mean, I don't suppose that should be such a surprise and recall Emma mentioning how writing is dirty- hands work, yet I am still surprised.
    I've been blogging about Authonomy on Strictly so I went on the site and the sheer crapola that most aspiring writers are spouting. And not just about publishers etc but the whole craft of writing. Sheesh.
    HB x
    by NMott at 22:10 on 25 November 2009
    Talking of 'craft', I thought it a bit mean of Tracey to poo poo the one poor artist who makes a living taking commissions, and saying she would never compromise her Art (or words to that effect) and accept a commission.
    It reminded me of the writers who would not compromise their writing to make it commerical enough to be published.
    Maybe that's the difference between writers and artists?

<Added>

maybe that should have been 'authors and artists'.
    by cherys at 09:46 on 26 November 2009
    I'm a big fan of Emin too. Seriously underrated by the meeja. Her work has integrity. I saw a documentary about her years ago and really warmed to her. She's a meticulous artist. But I did find myself getting horribly Daily Mail and shouting: Learn to draw! at the telly when the shortlisted (!!!) artists (!!!) showed their work. It's gross indecency to cal yourself an artist and have no interest in drawing from life. Even if they never want to paint a nude, it teaches them to look and concentrate and appreciate the difference between surface and depth, structure and covering - all essential, you'd hope, for developing work worth looking at. I love modern art and strong conceptual art - Mark Quinn is sublime, so's Mark Wallinger, but only one of them made anything I wanted to look at - that video artist of birds and sunlight under bridges - her work seemed exceptional.

Naomi, did you catch the documentary on Anish Kapoor? Now there's an artist worth listening to for links between creative practices. he said, why would i make something I already know? I want to make something I don't know, because then maybe you will see something you don't know and it will take you somewhere you've never been and at the very least it will be fun for you. I paraphrase massively but that was the wonderful, wise jist. I love his work. (On now at the Royal Academy. I defy you not to stick your fingers in his wax!)
    by helen black at 10:34 on 26 November 2009
    Totally agree about basic skills.
    I remember a telly prog in which Emin was pointing out to some art students that she can draw and paint beautifully, and that these were skills that had to be mastered before you move on to installations and the like.

As for commissions, I suspect that since our Trace has been successful almost from the start she hasn't ever really had to think about cash in the way most of us do. She says she would never compromise, but never say never eh?
    HB x
    by NMott at 15:54 on 26 November 2009
    only one of them made anything I wanted to look at - that video artist of birds and sunlight under bridges - her work seemed exceptional.

Yes, they were beautiful. I went on Youtube hoping to find them, but only found this (which I assume is one of hers)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNrLZ4RXIgc

<Added>

No, I'm afraid didn't catch the Anish Kapoor doc. I did go to the Jeff Koons exhibition at the serpentine gallery and was impressed by the technical side of it (blow up animals, etc, made from aluminium, and inserted into every day objects) but - assuming I had loads of dosh - it's not the sort of thing I'd buy.
    by chris2 at 14:38 on 27 November 2009
    It's a great pity that the sleb names mentioned in this thread have dominated the art world to such an extent for so long, despite, in most cases, never having produced anything much worth looking at since their original 'statements' brought them to public notice. The trouble is that they've very much blocked the way to new talent (and it is out there).

As for 'not compromising her art', could this advertisement possibly be telling us something about Tracey?

Tracey Emin's affectionate sketches of her cat, Docket, appear on this new collection of contemporary ceramics and t-shirts.

The 'contemporary ceramics' are mugs. What does that make us?

Chris
    by NMott at 10:17 on 15 December 2009
    Anyone catch the final episode last night? Loved the series and thought the winning installation was great. Won't mention what it was, as I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched it yet.
    by susieangela at 10:22 on 15 December 2009
    Wasn't it fabulous? (The episode and the final exhibit). But I feel very torn about the 'ownership' part of it. That old chestnut about what is art- I mean, does noticing something and moving it from one place to another count as 'making'??
    Susiex
    by rogernmorris at 13:49 on 15 December 2009
    yes, I enjoyed it too. thought the winning piece was brilliant.
  • This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >