Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 65 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4  5  > >  
  • Re: Doctor Who
    by vanessa rigg at 21:18 on 04 January 2010
    I'm with the Moffat fan club. Didn't he do The Library as well? I am REALLY looking forward to his overlordship (or whatever).
    by Jem at 22:36 on 04 January 2010
    Much better writer than Russell.
    by saturday at 16:58 on 05 January 2010
    Can I speak up for old Russell T? I heard him on the radio saying that he wrote Dr Who as drama that just happened to be sci-fi and I think that comes through very strongly. It may well be the reason why sci-fi buffs like JB and Terry hate a lot of it, but it may also be why people like Jem and me who both hated original Dr Who love it.

I completely agree that sometimes you could drive a double-decker space-ship through the plots, which must be very irritating for the ocasional viewer, but at the same time he manages to create characters and relationships that the regular viewer becomes completely invested in. That's why the role of Bernard Cribbens and Donna makes sense if you take a longer view, although it must have been perplexing out of context. I agree, this particular episode was not one of the best, but themes such as the exploration of loss and love and companionship were woven really well across the whole series and in a way that felt genuinely thoughtful and often moving.
    by Account Closed at 17:05 on 05 January 2010
    Yep, that's exactly why I hate most of it. They took a classic, unique, time-honoured sci-fi series with balls and turned it into a fucking soap opera for kids. Excuse French.

JB
    by Jem at 20:12 on 05 January 2010
    For kids and women who hate sci-fi.
    by Account Closed at 21:13 on 05 January 2010
    Yes, but you have enough of your bloody weepy dramas all over the box. Why can't you just leave our toys alone?

JB
    by Jem at 21:26 on 05 January 2010
    Like what??? Every time I turn on the telly it's crime drama. That's why I have to go to the cinema so much or watch Madmen and Corrie on a loop.
    by Account Closed at 22:03 on 05 January 2010
    Don't soaps qualify as weepy dramas? But I'm only joking anyway. I've started this year as a right opinionated old so and so, but I'm slowly reminding myself 'different courses for different horses' now that the post-seasonal slumps has worn off.

JB

by Terry Edge at 10:25 on 06 January 2010
    but themes such as the exploration of loss and love and companionship were woven really well across the whole series and in a way that felt genuinely thoughtful and often moving

Fair point. But my misgivings about a lot of the Dr Who scripts are actually on this issue, not just that the science and the SF are sloppy. I think Russell Davies has really good skills in some areas of showing relationships, and with certain kinds of social dialogue. But I don't think he works hard enough at the areas he's not so strong at. So, for example, we get a great character like Rose supported by a mother who's written like a sub-Eastenders numbskull nymphomaniac, and a boyfriend with zero character whose sole purpose is to scream 'token black' to the audience. There's also Mr Davies's difficulty in not making most of his characters gay or at least have gay experiences. Which is a shame, since it's a positive move for a children's programme to show diversity in relationships. But when it gets to the point, for example, that James Marsters turns up on Torchwood and I can predict to within three minutes when he'll first snog Jack, I think we're veering into gender politics panto.

Terry
    by optimist at 10:50 on 06 January 2010
    I think Russell T Davies and David Tennant deserve credit for bringing Dr Who back to our screens and making it popular entertainment - capturing the Saturday night tea time audience again.

We were wondering if it was always the plan to launch with a name - Christopher Eccleston and then bring in the (then) lesser known Tennant...

That said I agree it became too comfortable - I haven't watched all the series by one the basis of what I did see by the end there was definitely a feeling of 'more of the same'.

I'd like to think the new writing and new incarnation will bring in a new young audience and be experimental - they have the kids and the parents - time to push the boundaries?

by saturday at 12:38 on 06 January 2010
    As I've said, I admire much of Russell T's writing, but I would agree there is an element of self-indulgence there sometimes. That's my explanation for the much-hyped 'death' when as you say, Terry, it was only a regeneration. I think because He, DT and the producer (Julie Gardner?) were all leaving, it felt like a huge thing and he was writing 'death' from his own pov rather than strictly from the character's?
    by Account Closed at 13:43 on 06 January 2010
    Sarah pointed out to me earlier the parallel between the end of this Dr Who and the Sandman. It occurs to me that Russel T was writing death from the standpoint of Neil Gaiman, except that it worked so much better in the Sandman.

I'm interested to see where they take it with Matt Smith. Most people I know are envisioning an all-out kid's show now, but I'm not so sure. I think it has a lot to live up to in terms of popularity and may yet surprise.

JB

by Jem at 11:03 on 07 January 2010
    Well I've said it before, but Matt Smith is an equal to both Eccleston and Tenant in the acting stakes. Add to that the change of writer and we'll have few complaints. I just wish they could an assistant with the same charm as Billie Piper, though. There must be someone. That last girl was total pants and I hated the comedian too, though I do like her. I'm thinking maybe Sheridan Smith? She's got the comedic style.
    by Account Closed at 14:07 on 07 January 2010
    Yes, the comedian was a strange move, wasn't it? I did note that when Dr Who regenerated he quickly determined that he was 'not a woman'. I wondered if that comment was possibly to pave the way for a future female doctor. It's never been mentioned before, the possibility that he could regenerate as female, so it was interesting.

You can see the new assistant in the trailer, that dark haired girl.

JB
    by Jem at 14:12 on 07 January 2010
    Will look her up - well, I would if I had a name for her.

<Added>

http://www.the-medium-is-not-enough.com/images/karen_gillan_01_1024.jpg

Here she is!

<Added>

Scottish and ginger and proud!
  • This 65 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4  5  > >