Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

by Account Closed at 00:32 on 19 January 2010
    Hi

Has anyone here seen this yet? I went tonight and it didn't disappoint visually - really visually, in very colourful, deep 3D. The plot isn't all that original but it serves. The scenes and sights do kind of steal the show.

JB
  • Re: Avatar
    by Account Closed at 09:26 on 19 January 2010
    I'm keen to see this after hearing that self-help forums have been set up on the internet to help fans cope when they come out of the cinema and realize there isn't such a world. Apparently some fed-up youngsters feel like ending it all when they return to their grey, real life.

??!

Also, cos it is the biggest money-making film of all time.

Is it really all that?
    by nessiec at 10:03 on 19 January 2010
    I was secretly relieved when it was 'sold out' on Saturday and I 'had' to go and see The Road instead - which was brilliant, btw, although it's never going to be as good as the novel.
    by optimist at 14:11 on 19 January 2010
    I really want to see it

Sarah
    by Steerpike`s sister at 17:54 on 19 January 2010
    I went for the 3D and because I love a good sci-fi. I thought it was fine. The 3D effects do work really well, and he uses it not for stunts - so it was a bit disappointing in that way, not many squeals as a monster leaps out of the screen at you - but to give you a feeling of absolute immersion. I did come out thinking that other films would seem a little... flat, in comparison.
    As a film,leaving out the 3D aspect, it's very average. Like you say, it serves. I liked the alien heroine, she made me laugh, the way she kept slapping the hero around and humphing at him.
    by Account Closed at 19:07 on 19 January 2010
    Apparently some fed-up youngsters feel like ending it all when they return to their grey, real life.

I bet this came from the same stable that claims some kid went straight into a mental asylum after watching Paranormal Activity. I suspect they're urban myths, but maybe not. The horrible rumour at the moment claims that Tobey McGuire has pulled out of Spiderman 4 to play Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit. There is already fan uproar and I, for one, am praying it isn't true. Along with the other rumour that states Jedward are going to play Fili and Kili. Please God no!

Is Avatar all that? Yes and no. As a visual experience, you've never seen anything like it. As a story, you probably have, many times, but somehow it manages to avoid falling into schmaltz or the usual American moralising. The heroine was rather cool, yeah, far removed from blushing and swooning, which is always welcome.

JB
    by Account Closed at 19:10 on 19 January 2010
    It just made my husband and I chuckle, cos we remembered how counselling was set up after the first ever Big Brother cos some people couldn't cope with no longer seeing their new bessies - the housemates - every day!

Do you think young children could sit through this film, JB, or is the plot rather complex? Is it comparable plot-wise to eg Indiana or Pirates of the Caribbean?

<Added>

by young, i mean top primary/low High school age
    by Account Closed at 21:48 on 19 January 2010
    we remembered how counselling was set up after the first ever Big Brother cos some people couldn't cope with no longer seeing their new bessies - the housemates - every day!

Dare I suggest that some people clearly need counselling beforehand if that was the case?

I think the kids would love it, really.

JB

<Added>

need-ed!
    by Steerpike`s sister at 21:50 on 19 January 2010
    Jedward are going to play Fili and Kili.

Got to say, I would looooove that
    by Account Closed at 22:13 on 19 January 2010
    Leila, be careful what you say. You're standing in my crosshairs.

JB
    by ShellyH at 10:08 on 20 January 2010
    Casey,

Hubby took the kids to see it last weekend. My boy is nine and my daughter is seven. They loved it, wouldn't stop talking about it. I think it was a little long for my daughter, I think she got a bit fidgety towards the end, but my boy loved the 3D.

Shelly
    by Account Closed at 11:29 on 20 January 2010
    The friend I went with wished that they'd brought their son along. He would have loved it, but she was a bit wary after the Coraline debacle, when he had nightmares for a week. (And it was my fault too. 'Oh, he'll be fine' I said, buying the tickets. Oops.)

JB
    by Account Closed at 17:03 on 20 January 2010
    Ah thanks, JB and Shelly, sounds like it is suitable then.

Mind you, 3 hours... i better prepare for a loo break or two
    by nessiec at 12:18 on 24 January 2010
    I saw it last night. Didn't want to, but I'd promised hubbie who has a work interest in 3d technology. Well, both of us wished we hadn't bothered!

It was cliched, derivative, predictable, cringe-making and way, way too long. I only got through it by making up three games:

Predict the cliche
    Spot the bits nicked from other films (in particular Lord of the Rings, Terminator and Harry Potter)
    See if I can get my tongue into the centre of a popcorn kernel before it melts.