Login   Sign Up 

This 30 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • The Lovely Bones
    by Account Closed at 01:09 on 26 February 2010
    Has anyone seen this yet? I went tonight and really enjoyed it, even if it did verge a little on the wet side at times. In fact, it was a strange juxataposition of real-life horror and far-fetched fantasy (and it is very far-fetched too). Never read the book, but thought it was a good film, with some nice visuals.

JB

<Added>

I mean far-fetched in its delivery, rather than in its central premise. I felt that on a couple of occasions, the rose-tinted delivery detracted something from the story.
  • Re: The Lovely Bones
    by debac at 10:15 on 26 February 2010
    I read the book some time ago, and really enjoyed it, but I have a sneaky feeling it would annoy me as a film.

Deb
    by JulesA at 10:36 on 26 February 2010
    I've been humming an heying over whether or not to read the book or see the film.

Waxy - did the film make you want to read the book?

Jules
    by Moonshoe at 10:57 on 26 February 2010
    Haven't seen the film but read the book a while ago and thought it was great. a dark dark subject handled with a deft, light touch. I would definitely recommend the book - not sure whether I'll see the film after mixed reviews. I can see it would be a very tricky task to get the right tone.
    by Jem at 11:48 on 26 February 2010
    The reviews I read were so disparaging I couldn't devote the time to it, particularly as there have been such a lot of good films to choose from recently - "Sex and Drugs and Rock'nRoll" about Ian Dury; "A Single Man" - Tom Ford's lovely film for which Colin Firth has just picked up the Bafta for best actor; and "Precious" which was really gripping.

I haven't read the book either. Can't seem to bring myself to.
    by cherys at 12:02 on 26 February 2010
    The book is wonderful, Jem. It's not what you'd expect. The reviews of the film have been so dismissive they make me want to see it. And yes, isn't there suddenly a rash of good films out. I love Andy Sirkis and Ian Dury and want to see Precious too.

I'd be interested to know what you make of the book waxy.
    by Jem at 12:08 on 26 February 2010
    Andy Sirkis was brilliant in that film! And the last scene in Precious - where the mother justifies her treatment of her daughter is a stunning piece of acting. I'm not usually a fan of Colin Firth but thought the role of the gay Professor in 1960's LA was tailor-made for him (scuse pun, Tom Ford, geddit?) Though I enjoyed this film I did think it was slightly more style than substance. It is also a gay film whatever the Producers and Tom Ford himself say about it. The fact that Colin Firth and Julianne Moore are pictured lying down together on the publicity shots says more for their qualms, I think and what middle America will take to their hearts. It was very refreshing to see the gay male camera gaze, I must say.
    by Account Closed at 13:59 on 26 February 2010
    Waxy - did the film make you want to read the book?

Yes, it did, but I have 11 books to read already, so will probably get round to it at some point. There are a couple of things in the film that, plot-wise, don't really convince, and the ending wasn't all that satisfying either, but on the whole, I think it's far from being the disaster that some critics describe.

I want to see A Single Man, I've heard good reports. The one I'm really looking forward to is Alice, however.

JB
    by optimist at 19:23 on 26 February 2010
    Ooh yes - Alice Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are on Wossy tonight and there's some great coverage in the Independent.

I can't bring myself to read/see The Lovely Bones either - I feel a bit feeble about that and aware that I'm almost certainly missing out but it seems like I can't cope with too much reality in my fantasy

by Account Closed at 20:21 on 26 February 2010
    You kind of have to admire the originality in the Lovely Bones. It really seems like quite a risky venture to mix that kind of story with something so metaphysical, and I think it works well on the whole. It was also refreshing to watch something on screen where I didn't feel familiar with the plot or guessed where it was going. It's pretty tense in places too, but yes, a little upsetting as well.

JB
    by Jem at 21:20 on 26 February 2010
    I read somewhere that it was so popular because it came out after 9/11 and provided people with a bit of comfort - that people don't really die.
    by Account Closed at 23:26 on 26 February 2010
    I can see how people might draw comfort from it, but it does seem a little too neat to have that realistic edge, which is kind of what I meant. I felt it would have been a much stronger story if it had shied away from all that shiny optimism. It left me with a cynical sense of 'if only', rather than a wistful 'if only', if that makes sense. Things were wrapped up a little too comfortably and in a couple of the real-world scenes, highly unlikely. So the balance felt a little out at times - is it a fantasy or a thriller?

JB

<Added>

I watched (500) Days of Summer too and really liked that.
    by Jem at 08:49 on 27 February 2010
    You did????
    by Account Closed at 11:27 on 27 February 2010
    I thought it was ok, a bit different. It didn't set my world on fire.

Let me guess. You hated it.

JB
    by Jem at 11:39 on 27 February 2010
    Pants, in a word. It may have been okay if you were watching it at home as a DVD, though. Cliche city, I thought.
  • This 30 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >