Login   Sign Up 

This 88 message thread spans 6 pages: 1  2   3   4   5   6  > >  
  • Dr Who
    by Jem at 10:00 on 05 April 2010
    So, what do we think?

I think I'm well- suited.
  • Re: Dr Who
    by Account Closed at 11:08 on 05 April 2010
    Liking him lots. Amazed to find that already prefer him to Tennant. I know. Fickle.
    by SarahT at 11:43 on 05 April 2010
    Totally agree. I thought Matt Smith was great, which was a relief because I thought that trailer with the vampires from episode six was a little naff. I thought the new assistant was good too and I sense a much needed move away from Russell Davies' rather grandiose style. The biggest compliment from this end, though, is the fact that my husband sat through a whole episode for the first time since Tom Baker was the Doctor and actually said he liked Matt Smith. I even suspect that he might sit down and watch future episodes with us. Now that is praise indeed!
    by Sally_Nicholls at 14:33 on 05 April 2010
    I loved it. Agree, was sceptical about a Tennant replacement, but love the steam-punk look and the mad hyperactivity of Matt Smith. Can't wait for the rest of em!
    by Jem at 14:52 on 05 April 2010
    Well I said he'd be good, didn't i?
    by optimist at 17:18 on 05 April 2010
    We love it - thumbs up in our household. Love the writing too

Sarah
    by CarolineSG at 17:47 on 05 April 2010
    DT will always retain a special place for me [matron!] but I really liked Matt Smith. I have great hopes for Stephen Moffatt as the new writer, but thought the first one was a bit...too cartoonish and slapstick in places. Looking forward to some of his darker stuff.

And yes, Jem, you did say so!
    by Katerina at 18:35 on 05 April 2010
    I love Dr Who the programme, but hate Matt Smith playing the Doctor.

He looks about 12 years old and is so wrong for it - in my opinion.

He may grow on me, David Tennant did, but at the moment I don't like him at all.

Kat x
    by Jem at 22:11 on 05 April 2010
    You will, Katerina, you will. I've seen this actor on stage and in a brilliant series "Part Animals" on TV. He is easily as good an actor as Tennant, if not better.

<Added>

"Party" not "Part"
    by KatyJackson at 11:47 on 06 April 2010
    Loved it, and thought Matt Smith was fab
    by j.oreilly at 14:01 on 06 April 2010
    I just found it terribly sad that they couldn't think of anything more intelligent for her than being a strippergram.
    by barjoker at 14:26 on 06 April 2010
    Oh! Absolutely - I was furious about the kissogram thing, all for the sake of a lame joke and an excuse to show off her legs. (Although 'kissogram' did make me snort - think things have moved on a bit these days...)

As for Matt Smith, I loved him in 'Party Animals,' but I'm not convinced by him as the Doctor yet. He seems like an impostor, all his lines sound like they should be Tennant's - it doesn't seem as though he's been given a character of his own. And he feels too young to carry off that sense of ancient sadness, the darkness, that lurked under Tennant's surface. And, I didn't feel much chemistry between him and the companion, and I do like a bit of chemistry.

And, what was with the Tiggerish food sampling at the beginning?

Of course will be watching and hoping for better...
    by Account Closed at 21:50 on 06 April 2010
    Peter Davidson was also comparitively young when he started out, wasn't he?

I enjoyed the new episode. I think Matt Smith had a lot riding on him and acquitted himself well. There's a lot of promise here and I think Smith will grow into the role as the series progresses. There's always been a bit of silliness whenever the doctor regenerates - it's perfectly 'normal'?

I was disappointed by the new interior of the Tardis, however. Matt Smith made a deal out of that on Jonathan Ross (and in the episode) and well, it wasn't all that different from the old interior. Amelia Pond seems a fiesty enough companion. Overall, we're not in the realms of Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy and that'll do for me.

JB

<Added>

Not to be unfair to McCoy, whose stint did improve with time.
    by Jem at 07:46 on 07 April 2010
    He may have been joking when he said there was a pool.
    by debac at 10:03 on 07 April 2010
    I loved Matt Smith in his new role!! I enjoyed him in Party Animals too (Part Animals might have been a good name for it, too, Jem, ha ha! )

I think this writer is the best one who wrote for the last era and I'm very pleased he's taken over. There's a new flavour to it, which I think is mostly due to the new writing control and also of course to Matt, and I liked it a lot!

I used to get a bit bored watching it during the Russell T Davies era, but I wasn't bored at all by this epi. I loved the young Amelia Pond and wish she was still called Amelia. The adult one is nice too, but the young one I found more interesting.

I have high hopes!

Deb
  • This 88 message thread spans 6 pages: 1  2   3   4   5   6  > >