Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 88 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5  6 > >  
  • Re: Dr Who
    by Katerina at 17:02 on 11 June 2010
    Ha ha well I'm just a big softie and only saw the emotion in the story and not the bad bits

Mind you, anything remotely emotional has me blubbing these days - must be my age!
    by SarahT at 20:15 on 11 June 2010
    Hmm. Wouldn't mew writers be a bit cat-astrophic?

<Added>

Sorry Jem, I couldn't resist!
    by Astrea at 20:25 on 11 June 2010

Hmm. Wouldn't mew writers be a bit cat-astrophic?

No, obviously they would be purr-fect (Sorry!)
    by Jem at 18:21 on 12 June 2010
    lol!
    by CarolineSG at 19:51 on 19 June 2010
    Nooooooo, that wasn't the end of the series, was it?
    by NMott at 20:32 on 19 June 2010
    Last episode next week. - 26th, hint, hint.
    by CarolineSG at 20:32 on 19 June 2010
    Doh!!!!
    by CarolineSG at 09:51 on 28 June 2010
    So what's the verdict then?

I was disappointed by the finale. It felt to me that massive leaps in logic and convenient twists were just thrown in carelessly [I know this is often a criticism of Doctor Who, but doesn't normally bother me]

I hate to say this, having loved all the ones that Moffat wrote in previous series, but I just don;t think he loves the programme the way that RTD did
    It's just missing something at its heart.

Big thumbs up for me for Matt Smith though - love him. And I like Amy.

That ridiculous time travel device thing really irritated me hugely - suggests the Tardis is nothing all that special!

Grump, grump, mumble, mumble...
    by NMott at 10:15 on 28 June 2010
    Captn Jack from Torchwood has one of those time jumping devices, so I guess I swallowed it, although it was a bit of a cheat to have the Doctor come back in time to tell Rory how to get him out of the box so he can come back in time.
    But love the younger version of emily pond. And the bit about the 2000yr old centurian, guarding the box, was so sad. I guess it could have been worse.

- NaomiM
    by Astrea at 13:21 on 28 June 2010
    Well, mixed reaction from me.

Positives - I too liked the younger Amelia/Amy - like her a lot more than the 'grown-up' version, to be honest, and I do think the Doctor/River thing is working a lot better than I thought it would. There is definitely a strange sort of chemistry there, down to Alex Kingston I suspect who is really very good in this.

Glimmers of hope too for Matt Smith, who does finally seem to be developing his own Doctor persona instead of channelling David Tennant.

Plot? Hmm - pretty bizarre and illogical. It seems as if every finale has to be bigger and better than the one before, to the extent that credibility and dramatic tension is sacrificed for 'big bangs'without any substance.

But as I said before, I'm old enough to remember the Tom Baker version of the Doctor, so I suspect I'm not the target audience any more ...
    by Jubbly at 21:11 on 28 June 2010
    I think the main problem I've had with this series is the episodes don't stand alone. You are constantly reminded that in the end everything will be explained then you'll have to go back and remember all the little red herrings and parts that didn't make sense then it will all be right. I think it's lazy and the verdict of my 9yr old son who was addicted to all the other series keeps shrugging half way through each episode saying 'I'm bored.' Something must be wrong, however I'm still looking forward to the next series to see if they get it right.
    by Jem at 22:37 on 28 June 2010
    Haven't seen the last one but during the penultimate ep I did find my mind wandering - just didn't understand what was going on. My son said I'd have to ask him to explain the last ep so it is not boding well. I agree it's lost the camp heart that Russell brought to the series and it's gone too tekkie for me. But lovin' Matt and Amy and Alex Kingston is really amazing.
    by NMott at 00:45 on 29 June 2010
    It is a typically idiotic ending, but that's par for the course in Dr Who.

When are they going to bring the Doctor's clone back, or that thief from the episode on the bus?
  • This 88 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5  6 > >