Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: For fans of The Killing
    by EmmaH at 11:41 on 08 June 2011
    At least there's two more series!

We're passing through Denmark in July. I have picked up a few bits of Danish I might try out. I can now say Troels in a near perfect Danish accent ;-)

Interestingly, if you say 'the killing' in English it sounds almost exactly like the Danish for 'you bitch'. Check out it out on this link:

http://www.speakdanish.dk/en/phrases/0260-swearing.php

Yes, I have been spending too much time on the net this morning...

<Added>

Two more series of 'The Killing', I mean.
    by CarolineSG at 11:46 on 08 June 2011
    Brilliant!

It's oddly pleasing saying 'Troels', isn't it? We've renamed our dog's cuddly/chew toy Troels just so we can say it often

I also like saying 'Sarahlund' very quickly and Danishly, like she does when she answers the phone. Sigh.

<Added>

Have just realised that most of the above makes me sound quite mad.
    by Jem at 12:34 on 08 June 2011
    No, Caroline, it doesn't make you sound remotely mad.

I love dansk. It's the sexiest language going.
    by EmmaH at 13:10 on 08 June 2011
    Madness is underrated, Caroline!
    by Jem at 14:16 on 08 June 2011
    Interestingly, if you say 'the killing' in English it sounds almost exactly like the Danish for 'you bitch'.

Emma, "forbrydelsen" actually means "the crime" in Danish, not "the killing". Can't remember what Danish is for the killing - "drab", I think.
    by EmmaH at 10:13 on 09 June 2011
    Do you speak Danish, Jem? I've always wanted to learn Swedish.
    by Jem at 16:49 on 09 June 2011
    I used to speak Norwegian, Emma - I did Scandinavian Studies at Uni many moons ago, which also included Old Norse and Danish literature. Danish and Norwegian are very similar on the page but completely different to the ear. It has been said that Danish sounds like Norwegian spoken with a hot potato in the mouth. That's because they swallow all the consonants.

To my mind the Norwegian spoken in Bergen and that side of Norway is the most beautiful and Swedish is the ugliest of the three languages. But it's a personal thing I guess.
  • This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2