Login   Sign Up 

• How much summer writing do you get done?
    by Anna Reynolds at 21:18 on 09 August 2013
    I'm curious to know how much WWers write in the summer.. not just because of the lovely temptation to sit in the sun, but school holidays, etc etc... personally, I approach it with a mix of dread and delight. Dread, because I know child caring means I'll have much less structured time to actually do anything, and delight because I always, ALWAYS plan a few days in the middle of summer to start creating something new, and that means the fun stuff, like character boards, story arcs on big lining paper, etc, as opposed to actual writing.... The reality is, and has been thus far, that I bodge a bit of time when kids are happily playing downstairs, but never quite feel able to let go creatively... then when I do have a whole week free, don't quite know how to proceed. Do other people suffer from this syndrome? It isn't like I don't have a whole year to plan for it!
  • Re: How much summer writing do you get done?
    by EmmaD at 22:11 on 11 August 2013
    Yes, I feel a bit lost with the lack of structure to the days, even though it's also nice not to be getting up and grappling with the school run. And the house is fuller of people.

On the other hand, my agent said that a whole lot of her authors had delivered MS in the last week or two - I suspect that we all had finished academic and teaching jobs sometime in June and spent six weeks madly writing before the children broke up and there was no more peace...
    by Anna Reynolds at 11:23 on 12 August 2013
    Oh, that's interesting- a real rush, those last few weeks, I felt it too. And it always feels nice getting things kind of tidied up before the long desert of the summer hols... am trying to see it positively, though, as in, a shaking up of the usual routine. New things/people to observe etc...
    by Annecdotist at 14:52 on 12 August 2013
    The school holidays have no bearing on my life, but I still can't tackle a big project over the summer. Partly my demanding garden, but it's also the internal conflict I feel about wanting to make the most of the fine weather and get outside. It might be that I'm not disciplined enough, but I think I just go with the rhythms of the seasons.
    by Anna Reynolds at 17:39 on 12 August 2013
    Whereas autumn or spring feel like brilliant times to start something new- or they do for me. I'm with you- I feel the same about Christmas. In theory time for a break from routine and a chance to start something new but the energy isn't right..
    by Jem at 18:02 on 12 August 2013
    I don't do as much but I try and make sure I do something. Summer is so short here in the UK that I would really regret not making the most of it. As long as I can plod along and write a couple of short stories and maybe mull over a few ideas about a serial I feel happy.