Login   Sign Up 

• teen book recommendations please!
    by Freebird at 13:35 on 25 March 2014
    My daughter is a voracious reader and very glum if she hasn't got a good book on the go, so I want to buy her a couple to take on holiday.

She's 13, so likes teen books but not stuff that's more for older teens (so not sex, drugs, rock and roll!). She loves dystopian stuff (Hunger Games, Divergent) and spy stuff (Gallagher Girls) but not supernatural  (vampires, angels/demons etc).

Can you recommend anything????? Please
  • Re: teen book recommendations please!
    by Anna Reynolds at 14:30 on 25 March 2014
    I'd recommend The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, but it is about teenagers dying of cancer so not sure how well it would sit with her- I've just been working with some 13/14 yr olds who utterly adored it but... hey.

They also raved about 13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison....
    by Bazz at 16:43 on 25 March 2014
    Try, Mortal Engines, The Maze Runner, or The Knife of never letting go. All meant to be brilliant series smiley
    by andinadia at 21:12 on 25 March 2014
    Hi Sarah, do you know When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead, or How I Live Now, by Meg Rossoff? They might be just right. Or Terry Pratchett's books? My eldest son devoured them at that age. (The Fault in Our Stars is extraordinary too, I agree!)
    by EmmaD at 18:19 on 26 March 2014
    My daughter ADORES John Green. Also big hits with her around that sort of age were anything by Jenny Valentine and Meg Rossof, Sally Gardener.
    by a.m.edge at 23:40 on 26 March 2014
    Looking for JJ by Anne Cassidy plus added bonus of sequel she's just brought out. Would also recommend Patrick Ness's The Knife of Never Letting Go.