Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Writers who are also carers- a Society of Authors initiative
    by Anna Reynolds at 17:09 on 23 June 2015
    The Society of Authors has launched its own Writers as Carers Group.

This new SoA group has been set up to help writers with caring responsibilities to carry on writing.
    'You don't have to stop being a writer if you start being a carer.'
    As well as sharing tips and advice, members of the group will be able to share and discuss their writing in a private, online environment.
    Carers Week is an annual campaign to raise awareness of caring, highlight the challenges carers face and recognise the contribution they make to families and communities throughout the UK. 
    This year the focus is on building Carer Friendly Communities. Communities which support carers to look after their loved ones well, while recognising that they are individuals with needs of their own.

Founder of the SoA group and SoA member, James Green, says:
    ‘While I am fully committed to looking after my wife, I am not at all committed to disappearing as a person and although I am, at best, an obscure writer, I didn’t want to give it up altogether. A noble sentiment but how, pray?
    'I found that to be a damn good question and, try as I might, I couldn’t come up with a damn good answer. So I went to the Society of Authors and asked them if they could help. Were there other writers who had become carers and, if so, could something be done to help us all to carry on writing if we wanted to? Needless to say the SoA came up trumps.’
    Nicola Solomon, SoA Chief Executive, added:
    ‘When Jim contacted us, we wanted to help. You don't have to stop being a writer if you start being a carer. National Carers Week has given us the perfect platform to launch this group and to raise awareness about carers. No one should have to care alone.’ 

The SoA is currently developing the members-only online discussion area, which will be a place for members to share tips, advice and their writing.
    http://www.societyofauthors.org/soa-news/soa-launches-writers-carers-group-during-national-carers-week
  • Re: Writers who are also carers- a Society of Authors initiative
    by Freebird at 17:09 on 29 June 2015
    that is an excellent idea. Three cheers to the SofA for that :)
    by Alex29 at 17:17 on 29 June 2015
    Much needed. So isolating being a carer.
    by Anna Reynolds at 09:35 on 30 June 2015
    Yes, I agree, SofA get a thumbs up for this, and I particularly liked this:You don't have to stop being a writer if you start being a carer. I have been doing a theatre project recently with young carers and this seems fundamental to me, that you do not lose sight of the other parts of your life, whatever they may be...

by Catkin at 00:03 on 03 July 2015
    This is a good idea, but it's only open to SofA members. As being a carer can mean you have very little spare cash, I think it would help most if this group were free to join.