Login   Sign Up 

• WriteWords
    by Carlyagain at 21:43 on 28 April 2018
    I used to be a member of this site years ago and I've come back to it in recent months. 

A couple of observations:

1. The members of this site are as giving and lovely as they have always been. They deserve a better site, especially as they are paying for this.

2. The owners of this site have given up.

For a start, the forums are dead, apart from spam posts. Why are the spam posts still here ten days after being posted?

Secondly, I wrote to David and asked several questions about the site. This was ignored.

Looking back, I can see that time-and-time again the members have begged for the site owners to do something to rejuvenate this site. Part of the reasoning behind the membership payment, from what I recall, was the lack of advertising but there's advertising all over this site. In fact, my own B&B is regularly advertised to me (thanks to Booking.con - but please book direct instead of booking through them as you will save pounds!).

Recently, I looked at Litopia. It has several payment options, but it enables free access too. Importantly, the free access to the critiquing section can only be enabled after so many posts and a week-long membership of the site. People coming along and posting - and then leaving without giving reciprocal critiques - used to be an issue for many of the WriteWords' groups, but I long for the days when we'd get regular chapters posted for review.

The Word Cloud is closing to new members and a new paid-for format will replace it and Writers' Workshop. So, there are fewer options for newbie writers, other than Litopia, Scribophile, etc. Wouldn't it be lovely if WriteWords could make the most of the opportunities out there and be the site it should be.

Carly

Edited by Carlyagain at 21:44:00 on 28 April 2018
  • Re: WriteWords
    by Freebird at 16:00 on 02 May 2018
    Well said, Carlyagain - I totally agree

by Jennifer1976 at 10:19 on 03 May 2018
    Well said, Carlyagain. I also agree with you.
    by Bazz at 20:39 on 18 May 2018
    Thought i'd chime in on this thread seeing as it's been buried in spam messages.

David, there's a lot of junk spam threads that keep appearing in the forums, I wonder if you might take a look at that. We also have people still joining inactive groups when there's no one there to support them, would you consider closing and removing these groups? I don't expect any comment, but I thought i'd give it a go. Thanks.
    by Carlyagain at 21:39 on 21 May 2018
    It may be an idea to prevent trial members making more than one forum post within so many hours of joining, as this may go someway to reducing spam. It does look bad to have the whole forum area covered with passport and dodgy pill posts.

Even though the more recent ones have been removed, there are loads still in place.

It's also a shame if new members join inactive groups as it doesn't look good, especially as they can only post pieces of work once or so as trial members.
    by Mickey at 12:35 on 09 July 2018
    I sometimes look in the jobs/opps for poetry competitions. At the current time there are 18 advertised of which 16 are no longer available with some whose closing date was as far back as 2011. Why can’t these be removed?
    Edited by Mickey at 12:36:00 on 09 July 2018