Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• MERCY AND OTHER STORIES, A NEW COLLECTION
    by Becca at 16:49 on 25 March 2014
    Mercy and other Stories, my short story collection is out today with Tartarus Press. Some of these stories will have been on Writewords at one time or another in the past, and so thank you to all those who critiqued them.
    http://tartaruspress.com/mercylloyd.htm
    This is a truly beautiful hardback book that I think is selling at £35.00, which is one pound less than my asylum seeker friends have to live on each week, so I guess you can imagine that I find it slightly embarrassing. However the book is also available as an Ebook, and so that makes me pleased and happy.
    Rebecca.
  • Re: MERCY AND OTHER STORIES, A NEW COLLECTION
    by Teika Bellamy at 17:51 on 08 April 2014
    Congratulations Rebecca! I've been a fan of Tartarus Press for a while, and think it's really great that they're publishing your short stories. Their ebooks are very reasonably priced, and I'm guessing that if all the hardback copies sell they will print a number of paperbacks which will be more affordable for readers. So I do hope indeed that it's a success. Well done again :-)
    by Becca at 07:54 on 09 April 2014
    Hi Teika,
    Thank you so much for responding to this post, I'd kind of forgotten that I'd mentioned this publishing deal outside the confines of the short story group. Tartarus really are awesome, aren't they? I've been a fan for a long time as well and a reader of some of the wonderful writers they publish such as Arthur Machen and Robert Aickman. They will be making a paperback of Mercy if things go well with the hardback edition. 

by Teika Bellamy at 17:27 on 09 April 2014
    You're welcome Rebecca! Yes, I think Tartarus a great press; I'm rather in awe of how they manage to balance their budgets! I was so impressed by 'Rupetta' by Nike Sulway and I hope your collection does really well too. :-)
    by Becca at 17:49 on 09 April 2014
    Oh, it's really good to meet someone who is really knowledgeable about Tartarus. I know what you mean about their budget. I guess they have a core set of fans who will buy what they produce because each book is beautiful, .... and being bibliophiles they work with authors whose work they think is going to be read after they are dead, [the author, that is]. Rupetta did very well. I haven't got round to reading it yet, but I hear it is wonderfully strange. The other terrific thing about them is that they don't breathe down their authors' necks about promoting books, Tartarus do it themselves, and that is so elegant in today's publishing world. This means that while I concentrate on promoting The Veiw From Endless Street with WiDo, the Tartarus collection is taken care of. Not that I won't promote it .... appropriately. smiley
    by Teika Bellamy at 18:18 on 18 April 2014
    I totally understand that promotion is the last thing an author wants to do, so it's good that Tartarus takes care of that. I have to admit that I think that authors who are keen to do a fair bit of promotion are appealing to me (as someone who runs a small press) merely because my budget for promotion is so tiny that it's virtually non-existent!

I think there's also a distinction to be made between unattractive ego-centric self-publicity and letting others know about the existence of your book. The trick, I guess, is to carry out promotion from a place of humility (or perhaps simple good humour!) so that potential readers are more likely to be 'on your side'. 

Anyway, good luck with it all, and I LOVE the cover of The View From Endless Street :-)
    by Becca at 18:32 on 18 April 2014
    yes, I think it's fair enough now that we are living a curiously 'public' life because we can all connect up with each other, and I've experienced the ego-centric tiresome writers who just simply can't get over themselves, and I've wondered if it's just people being not being very experienced in life itself but, harmlessly, being rather good at keeping the attention on themselves. But in the end because they are so boring, I don't want to read their books, ironically.  Careful balance to be sort, I agree!

I like the mad cover of View from too, the shiny suit is particularly... well, repulsive.
    xxx Becca.