Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Write Words Awards
    by Scott at 20:35 on 06 July 2003
    I had an idea you all may like

How about monthly WriteWords awards, such as most popular piece, best contribution and so on.

People may enjoy the challenge or aspire to receive an award, hence inspiring them to do more and double check what they are writing.

What do you think?

Scott
  • Re: Write Words Awards
    by fevvers at 21:33 on 06 July 2003
    I'm not sure about this. We live in a massively competitive world anyway do we need to add to it?
    by Scott at 22:55 on 06 July 2003
    If it provokes healthy competition or enthusiasm for more writing it can't be a bad thing
    by Account Closed at 22:59 on 06 July 2003
    If it's just a label to land on a piece of work, like having a "poem of the month" picture stuck at the top of a piece of work, it can't do any harm.

Integrating a competition cycle into the website wouldn't be such a good idea though, as it would move away from the very healthy listen and learn culture that has been building to date.
    by Newmark at 23:28 on 06 July 2003
    Sorry Scott, this idea doesn't really appeal to me. What's good about this site, is that most things get read and then commented on quite quickly. I think if we have awards, we run the risk of creating a kind of elite, where a few members benefit at the expense of most.

by Nell at 07:56 on 07 July 2003
    I have to say I'm with you, Newmark. Sorry Scott. It would alter the whole climate here and introduce competitiveness - not what WriteWords is about. We all want to improve our writing, we all need support and I don't that this is the way to achieve that.
    by olebut at 08:30 on 07 July 2003
    sorry dont agree with this surely the object of the site is to encourage people to comment constructively on a piece of work to assist the writer.
    There are enough comeptitions out there if you wish to enter in fact I am not really sure I agree with the most popular facility already on here.
    by Becca at 11:32 on 07 July 2003
    Scott, I couldn't agree more with what's written above. All of us learn from this site, that's its value. It's a good idea of yours, but in a different context I think. Competition usually involves negative feelings, and I always shrink away from it, but you got us talking and that's good.
    by Scott at 19:51 on 07 July 2003
    I appreciate your views and don’t think you are wrong in your objections, I was merely just suggesting something and I too wouldn’t want to alter the site from being a healthy place to put your work up for viewing