Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Hoax
    by Scott at 22:06 on 23 April 2003
    Retracing all my work here was initially my first reaction when I received what I believe to be a hoax letter. I will not go into detail but the letter was from a well-connected person showing high interest in a script of mine. I am not naive enough to get all excited, in fact I immediately tried to suss out whether it was genuine or not before I would take it seriously. On further examination and a bit of detective work I came to the conclusion that the letter was probably 99% a hoax, and if so that hoaxer unfortunately could ONLY have come from this site due to the fact that only people who visit this site and my script has access to my alternative email address, one not even my closet friends and family has. The hoaxer therefore did not succeed in tricking me but did leave me feeling disappointed that a person would do such a thing.
    I would like to know what other people feel on the matter and hope the same does not happen to them

Scott
  • Re: Hoax
    by Newmark at 23:55 on 23 April 2003
    Scott, I'm sorry you've had such a negative, pointless and cowardly experience.

I'm not familiar with you're work, but whether its brilliant, or absolute crap, there is no excuse for the behaviour you've been subjected to.

The only thing I can say is this. Don't worry about it. Such moranic sniping can come only from someone two afraid to voice their real opinions.

I don't know whether the source came from this site, but if it did, and you're reading this, please bare this in mind.

If you don't like something, say so constructivly. There's no crime in critisism, just have the guts to put your name to it and be prepared to back your opinion up. Hiding behind hoaxes does you no credit.

Scott, one last time, I'm sorry you've had this experience. Keep going.

BEN x
    by david bruce at 09:20 on 24 April 2003
    Scott. The best thing is to hide your email from the site, then people can only contact you via our WWMail system - this sort of thing is exactly why we put that system in, and why when you join, the 'hide email' box is selected by default.

I think it's a crucial rule on the internet in general, to assume nobody is who they seem - that goes for chatting with any members on this site too. Take everyone with a pinch of salt and don't assume just cos they say something it's true (unless they're praising your work of course).

I'd be grateful if you could forward me a copy of the email to david@writewords.org.uk
    Many Thanks
    David Bruce
    WriteWords Webmaster
    by Becca at 10:28 on 24 April 2003
    I've just come across the forum today and read what you said about a hoax. That is truly appalling and I feel for you. If anything else happens you will let us know?
    Take heart,
    Becca.
    by Jibunnessa at 10:56 on 24 April 2003
    Actually, since joining this site, I've had 3 unsolicited emails: one from some guy in the UK saying that he's from some journal in Bangalore; another from some guy wanting to sell me list of email subscribers to defunct websites (at 10-15 cents per person); and lastly, only 3 hours after making a metaphorical comment on Roger's Prostrate Incident piece that 'size does matter', I got an email from some guy calling himself Bertram Phelps about the "Amazing Penis Development program !" stating that size and stamina really does matter and how I should act quickly before I lose my girlfriend - the fact that, being a woman, I don't actually have any 'size' at all, seems to have escaped master Bertram.

Anyway, I personally don't think it's worth getting upset about these. I haven't bothered to email back with expletives.

I also want any casual visitors to the site to be able to email me direct if they have something to say about my work. So, unless I'm inundated, I'll just continue to ignore.
    by Beverley Hills at 12:23 on 24 April 2003
    So sorry Scott. Unfortunately there will always be the proverbial bad apple, I just hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the site. Maybe we should run suspect emails by each other, or post them on the forum, in case anyone else has had or knows something of them.

Chin up mate!

Beverley x
    by Scott at 19:51 on 24 April 2003
    The letter struck me as suspicious immediately so I didn't allow myself to get annoyed but since it could have come from a member of this site I thought it proper to air what had happened to other people, to warn you I suppose.

Its not a nice thing to happy to someone so I’m letting you all know to be on your guard. I have sent the letter to David to have a look at (thanks) and maybe he will be able to tell us what he thinks.