Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Published work By Write Words Members
    by olebut at 21:39 on 08 September 2003
    Some of the members on the site have sucessfully had novels and other work published and it occurs to me that we should be giving maximum support to those members by buying, reading and reviewing their work.

A Review facility would be a great idea Mr Bruce but until that day I thought we could post on this forum.

I have recently read 'Solitary Pleasures' by Nell Grey ( Nell on write words. published by Paragon Fiction @ £6.99 isbn 1-84199-079-5 in paperback. But not semingly available on Amazon or BOL

I found this book an intriguing and easy to read tale, which moved along at a steady but gentle pace. The characters were all connected to the main character logically and we get to learn a little about them there past and there present.

The story was uncomplicated but believable and not over embroidered and thus kept the interest of the reader without overtaxing either the imagination or brain. There was also sufficient humour to make one smile but not so much thatthe book became a comedy. A mystery with a difference would be my general description.

When reading a book if it doesn't grab me in the first two chapters I may struggle through it or conversely put it aside, I did not put this aside and reading it was no struggle. In fact I can see opportunity for a sequel.

I thought an easy to read and pleasant story which I commend to everybody

well done Nell you get my vote

David

<Added>

I forgot to menton the poetic scraps which I thoroughly enjoyed and they added a nice dimensional twist to the plot
  • Re: Published work By Write Words Members
    by Nell at 09:03 on 09 September 2003
    David, what can I say but a heartfelt 'thank you'? I'm so glad you liked it. It should be possible to obtain the book by going to:

http://www.vistahouse.net/

and clicking on 'contact' to send them an email request. This is what I've been told, anyway. Maybe one day it'll appear on Amazon et al - I live in hope.

<Added>

But if anyone does have difficulties ordering, WW email me and I'll pop a copy in the post.
    by david bruce at 13:22 on 09 September 2003
    Review facility is indeed in the pipeline. Thanks David
    by Nell at 13:48 on 09 September 2003
    In the meantime, here's another to be going on with.

A Small Rain, by Hilary Custance, ISBN 1898030731

From the back cover.

The story takes place over eighteen turbulent months in the life of Stella, a poetry teacher when her husband goes missing thousands of miles from home. Her life-lines are her work in a hospice, playing clarinet in an amateur orchestra and her son Tom.

Unknown to Stella, there are connections between people in these separate worlds. When these worlds collide she must discover how to live with the consequences.

Music, poetry and compassion feature powerfully in this absorbing novel. It explores grief and love in an unusually intimate narrative which is both funny, moving and true to life.

I found this an intelligent and beautifully written novel, resonating with poetry and music, and I'm especially grateful to Hilary for introducing me to the poem from which the title of the book is taken; it will stay with me always.

The sensitivity of the author comes across strongly on every page, and the characters are finely drawn and well realised.

The three separate strands that make up the story come together in an emotional and satisfying climax, and I found myself thinking about the book and the characters long after I'd finished reading.