Login   Sign Up 

• New Message symbol?
    by Account Closed at 18:35 on 17 January 2011
    Just wondering if it would possible to have a symbol at the side of each thread which shows you when a message has been added since you last looked at it?

Jan
  • Re: New Message symbol?
    by Account Closed at 18:55 on 17 January 2011
    can you subscribe to the thread (and get email notifications?) without having to post a message?

by alexhazel at 19:09 on 17 January 2011
    Just a quick observation in relation to your idea, Jan. Depending on exactly what information WriteWords stores for each user, it might only be feasible to show when messages have been added since the last time a user logged in. If (as I suspect) the system doesn't actually record the time when a person reads a thread, it wouldn't have any information on which to base a decision about what a person might have read.

Maybe an alternative idea might be a "send me updates to this thread" button, which didn't require you to post a message to a forum in order to send you alerts about new replies.

My personal request would be that the message email alerts sent a link to the page of the thread that the reply is on. They always point to the first page of the thread, which can mean having to go through several pages to find the right one.

Alex
    by Account Closed at 19:30 on 17 January 2011
    Yes, I could get email alerts but the email address attached to this account is not my main one so it's not the best way for me.

it might only be feasible to show when messages have been added since the last time a user logged in.

Yes, I suppose so. It's just that, on some other sites, when logged in, you can refresh and see if the symbol has changed appearance and, therefore, a new post has been added.

But I guess not all sites can do this - will have to keep memorising the number of posts or just sucking and seeing!

Jan
    by NMott at 19:37 on 17 January 2011
    You can have email alerts if you recieve comments on uploads of work, but unfortunately not on other threads.
    I usually check on Recent Posts page:
    http://www.writewords.org.uk/forum/default_recent.asp
    by Account Closed at 20:37 on 17 January 2011
    Thanks, Naomi, that helps a bit. I had no idea 'recent posts' existed and, indeed, can find no trace of it on the forums home page where it purports to live!

Jan
    by EmmaD at 21:54 on 17 January 2011
    Not blindingly obviously, it's an option in the drop-down box where it says, 'choose WriteWords forum'. Also, the threads always appear on the Forums home page with the most recent main forum posts at the top (as indeed they do in PM and Lounge)

Emma
    by NMott at 22:24 on 17 January 2011
    Clicking on the Forums tab, above, also gets you to the Recent Posts page.
    by Account Closed at 10:25 on 18 January 2011
    Oh yes.

I know they appear on the main page etc. I just would like a little symbol. The fact that other threads are nearer the top doesn't mean another thread hasn't been added to.

I like the blindingly obvious, sometimes! Never mind.

Jan