Login   Sign Up 

• Cornerstones monthly `surgeries`- thoughts?
    by Anna Reynolds at 21:05 on 26 January 2011
    Cornerstones have kindly offered to run monthly 'surgeries' on the site, where they would tackle a range of themes and genre such as women's fiction, YA, children's fiction etc, with invited guest editors/agents etc popping in to answer questions, address issues etc. Any thoughts on this welcome in this thread.
  • Re: Cornerstones monthly `surgeries`- thoughts?
    by Astrea at 23:23 on 26 January 2011

Speaking from my little Women's Fiction corner, that sounds very interesting. How would it work, would we send in questions in advance of a certain date which would then be answered, or would it be more of a 'drop-in' type thing?
    by Anna Reynolds at 09:42 on 27 January 2011
    Well, not sure just yet, but am guessing possibly along the lines of the Q and A they've just done- WW members post up queries or even synopses/sample pages etc (they've done that in the past as well) and then Cornerstones or guest editor/agent people would pop in on a given date to make comments/answer questions.
    by susieangela at 11:22 on 27 January 2011
    Sounds brilliant! I'd definitely be interested.
    Susiex
    by Steerpike`s sister at 11:36 on 27 January 2011
    I think that's a good idea!
    by Terry Edge at 12:46 on 27 January 2011
    Anna, I think it's fair to ask at this stage, what's in this for Cornerstones? They're a commercial enterprise which makes its living from reports on writers' work. This is a site for writers, many unpublished and who may wish to purchase reports from a manuscript agency. There's nothing necessarily wrong with WW allowing an agency to in effect promote itself here. However, I think the motives involved should be more transparent, especially in light of this being a fee-paying site.

This is the second Cornerstones project here in a short space of time and, speaking as a fee-paying member, I'm a little uncomfortable about the danger of this becoming an advertising venue for them, ripe with potential clients. If WW has reasons for allowing them this opportunity, fine; but I think a) we should know what they are, and b) you should consider giving other agencies the same opportunity and thereby providing WW members with a wider spread of options.

Terry
    by Account Closed at 16:59 on 27 January 2011
    I like the idea of having a regular Q and AS - but not only with Cornerstones, with other agencies offering similar Q and As too. I think it would be a shame to have the site endorse just one company.

But then, I am not totally disinterested in the topic, so should probably leave it at that.
    by Pat M at 19:43 on 27 January 2011
    I met both Kathryn and Helen last year and found them both really genuinely nice people who wanted to help would-be-writers to get published.

Of course they may get some work from it, but we would be gaining from their time and experience too. I think it's an excellent idea, especially if we could get the same help from other agencies as well. Are any others offering?

Pat
    by Anna Reynolds at 21:55 on 28 January 2011
    Thanks for your thoughts- I will approach other people as well, that's a good idea, and if they want to offer their time and experience that's all to the good.
    by Shika at 19:47 on 30 January 2011
    Hi, I tend to agree with Terry. Can we have some others too? S
    by Anna Reynolds at 21:09 on 30 January 2011
    I've approached other people too, so we'll see what response there is- but if you've got a particular connection with a lit consultancy, or similiar org, or if you have a specially lovely/friendly agent/editor etc who is willing to be involved in either a Q and A or a mini-masterclass, do put feelers out.