Login   Sign Up 

• Q and A with Nichola Charalambou, Creative Writes
    by Anna Reynolds at 09:57 on 10 February 2011
    What have you written and what are you writing now?

I have been writing creatively for several years and my main passion is poetry and poetic prose. I self-published 2 books a few years ago, as part of a team of writers. I also used to review and assess London theatre, for theatre magazines, local newspapers and the Arts Council.

Do you have a day job?

I run Creative Writes - creative writing workshops. I set up the workshops over two years ago. My regular base is in Muswell Hill, North London – at a beautiful Victorian estate, where we work in an oak panelled room overlooking stunning gardens.

This year Creative Writes has also started to work with two new venues – the Fernandez & Leluu Supper Club in London Fields, E8 and Beetroot Deli – a polish Deli & café in Hampstead, NW3.

I have run guest workshops which have included; Tower Hamlets for a parents group, London Underground for their staff with dyslexia and at a writer’s group in Bishop Stortford.

Creative Writes workshops are small & supportive - I do not take any more than 10 people on each workshop. This is to enable everyone to develop at their own pace, with my support. I adapt the work to suit their needs.

The content in the workshops includes short story, poetry, character work and language games. We work as a group, in pairs and individually. Free flow writing is used as a foundation. Personal stories are often used as a starting point.

There is no feedback on the writing in Creative Writes workshops and I have seen the benefits of this over the years. There have been many discussions at my workshops with regards to people’s confidence being totally destroyed by writing criticism on other workshops & courses – to the extent that many have stopped writing creatively. Being in a non-judgemental environment enables participants to write without worry and to develop their own style and ability to judge their work. A workshop participant commented just this week on how she enjoyed ‘…being able to write and share my work in a safe and non-judgemental environment.’ Here are some more quotes from workshop participants, which relate directly to the no-feedback approach:
    "I liked that there was no feedback, and that you could choose whether or not to read out your work." Workshop Participant, August 2009
    "I realised that whatever work I produce is valuable. This was discovered I think through the 'no feedback' process where only I judged my work, this felt very empowering." Workshop Participant, December 2009

There is of course a time and a place for feedback and for editing but it is such a sensitive area (& not always appropriate in a group environment) and the focus for Creative Writes workshops is on the actual writing!

What would be your dream job?

I am already doing my dream job!
    Creative Writes fuels my own writing! It means I always have a focus and very much enjoy getting lost in different ideas and exercises.

How did you first start writing?

I have been writing creatively for as long as I can remember. I was given new inspiration however, when I was introduced to Natalie Goldberg’s book, ‘Wild Mind’ about 11 years ago and studied with her and her contemporary’s on different residential courses in the USA.

Who are your favourite writers/influences and why?

There are so many and it changes all the time but I have been particularly influenced by the Modernist writers such as Virginia Woolf and also the playwright Samuel Beckett. I also enjoy poets such as Paul Celan and the contemporary poet Daljit Nagra. Theatre, performance poetry/readings & visual arts have always been hugely influential in my life.

What’s the worst and best thing about writing?

It’s good to remember that writing is about writing and there is endless pleasure and discovery to be gained as we delve further & further! It is a shame to lose sight of this.

What would be your Desert Island book/object?

I would find it difficult to choose one but I guess either ‘Wild Mind’ or ‘Writing Down the Bones’ by Natalie Goldberg, to keep me inspired with writing ideas.

What inspires you to write?

Living and working in vibrant areas of London – I am endlessly inspired by the characters I see on a daily basis. I am also inspired by the people I work with and the difference writing is making to their lives. And finally, the constant urge to play with words inspires me!

If you have a useful writing exercise that’s helped you, as a writer or a teacher, pass it on?

Trust yourself and free flow! You may be surprised at the results.

Favourite quote about writing?

“There’s the art of lines and colours, then there’s the art of words that will last forever.” Vincent Van Gogh

Where do you write - paint us a picture (or even better, send us a picture)

I enjoy writing in cafes – the energy around me helps me to write. I also enjoy writing outside, in parks & overlooking the city.

Do you address particular themes or issues in your writing?

In my poetry and prose, personal themes seem to dominate but I just love to see what happens sometimes when random words are picked out from a list! In short stories – I enjoy experimenting and developing character.

What’s next for you?

I plan to continue developing the Creative Writes workshops – working with lots of different writers and in inspiring venues. I will also continue developing my own writing and enjoying it.

For further info and testimonials please see: http://www.creativewrites.co.uk